Partner has lost his job :-(

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Partner has lost his job :-(

Postby spacebadger » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi everyone

My partner found out yesterday that he will probably not have a job to return to in January :cry:

I have been reassuring him that we will be fine and that he will find something etc trying to be positive to stop him getting depressed (it means a lot to him to be able to provide for us) but if I'm honest I am feeling really down about it. It's such a shame that he's lost this job, he worked so hard at it but business just wasn't booming and I know this is the case for a lot of other people too. He is good at so many things but he hasn't got many qualifications as such so I'm worried about what will happen next, and he is 43.

Thankfully I have just had a big pay rise (going from PhD student to post-doc) so overall our income without him will be only a couple of hundred quid a month down on what we got before (me as a PhD student and him in work) but it's a real kick in the @rse that just as I get a steady income his gets taken away. We thought we were getting somewhere! I want to believe that he'll get something else and be happy but I fear for his state of mind if unemployment goes on too long as he can get very depressed. I know there are always training courses etc and I will encourage him to do something rather than just hang around the house but I guess I am just imagining the worst. I hope we can stay positive and have a good Christmas with our families but it just feels like a real blow, especially since we are getting married in August. God knows how we'll pay for that now unless he gets something straight away.

I know a lot of people are in worse situations than us, we can afford rent and bills on just my salary (no room for extras but that's just how it goes I guess) but I just feel sad and hope that someone can help!
spacebadger
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Partner has lost his job :-(

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Just remember there is voluntering, temping, part time and as you say courses
If he could get access to a course that could get him some self employment it might help give him alot more to focus on .
My husband got made redundant in August so I know how you feel. He got work with a friend but has taken a massive pay cut which I am having to cover the slack on. He has just enrolled for a short course in December that will help boost his earnings and get him on the path to self employment in the field he is training in. Eventually he will hopefully be back to earning at least what he was.
He also had to sell his sporty car (only 2 years old) which took him years to finally be able to afford becasue he couldn't keep up the payments and had to buy a small van instead.
You have to make adjustments and be realistic but, like us, it sounds like you alot better off than most and you can still pay your bills
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Finances