Handmade Cards

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Handmade Cards

Postby nothings_shocking » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Does anyone on here make their own cards??
I do it just for a hobby but then a friend and I decided to have a card party. Soooo the card party was last night and I sold 11 cards!! Am very pelased.
I'm got orders totaling up to 28 cards which is great news for me.
Just wanted to see how many crafty people were on the forum! :)
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Handmade Cards

Postby snail » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 pm

I've never done it. Is it fairly easy? Where would you get the materials? How do the costs compare with shop-bought?
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:23 pm

My ex used to (and possibly still does) make cards too. They looked really nice.

Good luck with making the cards. Well done on selling 11 and gaining so many orders. :) You're talented.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby peecee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:46 pm

I LOVE hand-made cards! They're more expensive to buy than ordinary greeting cards, but well worth the extra. Good on yer, gal! :P

Why don't you post some piccies of your cards, hun, so we can tell you how clever you are. :D

xxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nothings_shocking » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:19 pm

snail - They are really easy to make. Once you've made one you're really proud of it makes you feel more confident and sets the artistic flair going! You can get many things from a craft shop, ebay, papercraft websites anything just use your imagination. I've kept ribbon from a box of chocolates and used it on a card as it was so decorative. They can be expensive it depends on how much you can get your materials for. I'm a bargain hunter so try to get good quality things at low price so that keeps the prices of my cards down. I charge £1 for my cards but for me I think they are worth it! (biased or what?! :roll: )

Thank you captain! you always know the right things to say!!

Seeing as you've asked peecee... Here's a link http://www.facebook.com/#/album.php?aid ... =506957954
Now be nice lol. Well we had the party and people commented on how nice the cards looked and seemed to think the price was good! So I'm happy. Have spent tonight making cards... 5 altogether. Just nice to have a hobby that keeps me out of trouble!! O:)
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Hun, they're lovely - well done! =D>

Actually, when you start to pick up steam, I think you should look at your prices again. I would expect to pay about £2.50 for a card, and I buy mine from cheapo book shops on special offer!

I just checked a website to get a more accurate idea, and they were quoting £4.95 - £5.50 per card! :o

That's the price of a really big tub of ice cream... :wink:
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:35 pm

I agree. £1 is cheap for a card by any standards, even though cards cost less than they used to.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peecee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:38 pm

Snail, I think n_s needs a couple of managers, don't you...? :-k

Can we think of anybody suitable? :wink:
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:36 am

My terms are a chocolate bar a day :wink:

Actually, both my father and my ex-mother-in-law make their own cards, but not in this way - they are both artists, and have their paintings scanned and put on to cards. My father uses this mostly to make nice personal gifts (and to show off his work and get commissions :wink: ) but my ex-mother-in-law used to sell hers as a commercial venture. She painted attractive local scenes in a easy, popular way that appealed to most people, and for those who couldn't afford her actual paintings a nice card of one was a good alternative. She attended craft fairs and did very well, particularly near Christmas.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nothings_shocking » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:30 pm

I have just sold 8 more cards today for £10! Yayyyyy. :P I think £2.50 is too much for a card. I like to buy in bulk, this makes the card cheaper... I'm still making a little profit on selling the cards on for £1 each. Peecee if you're paying £2.50 then I think you need to place your order with me :P
For me it's not about making a profit, it's about funding a hobby that I have and it just gives me back money to buy more materials.
My friend and I are thinking that we might have a Christmas stall next year full of cards...
snail, sounds like a brilliant idea!!!
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Chit Chat