Does anyone know anything about Playstation 3 games?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Does anyone know anything about Playstation 3 games?

Postby snail » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi folks

My brother (Age: 39 Occupation: city high-flyer in rather boring but very lucrative area of shipping insurance) has asked me to buy him for Christmas:

"a Playstation 3 game (that's a game for the PS3 console, not the PSP - the PSP is the hand-held device). You can get them relatively cheaply second hand from sites like ebay, Play.com and Gamestation etc, as you probably know"

The trouble is I know only slightly more than nothing about these things. In fact, I know it's something to do with video games, and that's it. I had a look on Ebay and found there are thousands of games listed, with prices varying from £7 to £75. Is there a reason for this price difference - is it just how old the game is? Is there a particular format I should look for, or will any game that is listed as suitable for Playstation 3 do?

And does anyone have any ideas what type of game a 39-year-old man would like? He told me he already had the game "Formula One - Championship Edition" so perhaps sport? Or would something based on a film be better - I saw a game called Quantum of Solace, but it said it was suitable for ages 12+, so I can't believe it would be equally interesting to a 39-year-old?

Any advice useful, otherwise I'll just have to use my judgement (so if I'm back on here posting a thread in Siblings saying "My brother won't talk to me" you'll know it didn't work . . . )
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone know anything about Playstation 3 games?

Postby Skarlet » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Do you know if he likes first person shooters? PS3 is the most recent sony game console, the difference in price is pretty much to do with the newness of the game, how big a franchise it is, and so on.

How much do you roughly want to spend? I can find out some recommended games from the guys at work if you want?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Erm - what is a first person shooter? :oops:

I'm not sure what I want to spend really - we usually only spend about £20 on each other, but I'd be more keen to find something he would actually like. Yes, if someone at work has a game they think is good, that would be great, thanks!

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skarlet » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Where you run round shooting people- games like Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead. My bf, my brother in laws all like those sort of games. but it depends on him. Might be wise for you to ask him to give you a better hint, like what kind of game... there are loads out there.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:33 pm

OK I will, thanks :D

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby /X\kinglee/X\ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:01 pm

i have a PS3 and im abit of a Gameing Exspert lol (i have no life) i use mine to go on the internet on my 32" tv as it lookes better than the 19" moneter so if you know what he likes eg F.P.S 1st person shoters or RPG role playing games i can let you know what the best games are out there lol O:) O:)
/X\kinglee/X\
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks, Lee, I've sent him an email, although he usually takes a while to respond (and actually I think he might be in Istanbul this week).

/X\kinglee/X\ wrote:i use mine to go on the internet on my 32" tv as it lookes better than the 19" moneter

Oh dear, I thought internet, TV, and games were all different things :-? I'm out of my depth here . . . if the PS3 can go on the internet, is that still a game or is it the internet? Or is it the TV, if you can view it through the TV? And if the PS3 is the same as the internet and the TV, am I still Snail or actually someone else . . . :-k

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby /X\kinglee/X\ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Play station 3 for beginners

The PS3 is a games consol witch can play ps3 games BLU RAY DVDs and PS2 or PS1 games some of them you can put the ps2 and ps2 discs in to play but the newer ones you have to download the games from there market place

It also has an internet browser built in so you can surf the net and can do most things you could do on the p.c so you can watch I player, YouTube or even Watch-moves.com

So In short you can play games watch Blu Ray DVDs and surf the net it also has a lot of other handy little mod cons but that is Play Station 3 Advance lol

So if he uses his PS3 just to play Game then it just depends what he is into but I would stay away from movie based games as they are 9-10 poo
And also it deepens if he is a casual gamer 1-10 hours a week or hard core gamer 10- 100 hours a week

But by what you have said about being away on business then I would say he will only have about 7 hours to play so I think a good pick up and play game will be best suited so

So if he likes air guitar then get him guitar hero 5 this will set you back about £70 but you get a nice guitar with it but £70 is a bit much

If he likes fighting games then tekken 6 is good this is £35

If he likes shooting games then there is modern warfare 2 witch is £35 as well

If he likes shooting games but £35 is a bit much then you can try resident evil 5 you can get it for about £20

And the newer the game is the more it costs so they all start off abbot £40 and go down about £2 a month and its best to buy pre owned as it’s cheaper

Good luck and my fee is £20 lol just kidding
:-"
/X\kinglee/X\
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:05 pm

Wow, that's brilliant info, thank you, Lee, and it does clear it up. Yes, he'd definitely be a casual gamer, he works very long hours and is single parent to a teenager.

Will you settle for a kiss as your fee? M'WAH! *kissheart*

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby /X\kinglee/X\ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:52 pm

payment has ben made in full

and if all elce fails get him a blu ray DVD it like 5x more detail than standerd DVDs :D
/X\kinglee/X\
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:21 pm

This could be the start of something special, Snail gives a public kiss

Start saving for hats ppers :lol:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 pm

I dunno, Bel - I have no morals and will kiss anyone. Here, have one yourself, M'WAH! *kissheart*

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kerrie24 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:00 pm

My bloke and his friends are into the footy games like fifa or pro evolution soccer and the shooting zombie type ones that kinglee has mentioned.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:25 pm

snail wrote:I dunno, Bel - I have no morals and will kiss anyone. Here, have one yourself, M'WAH! *kissheart*

Bel Bel wipes slimey residue from her cheek and forgives snail for stealing her job as virtual birthday cake provider
:wink:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Chit Chat