Prison

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Prison

Postby captainf » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Okay, I need to ask some questions.

Basically I just got a call from my sister saying my dad was taken to prison a few days ago. She said the day following going to prison he went to court, and is now in prison pending a court hearing. None of us know what hes done but his brothers gonna find out tomorrow when he visits dad.

So I need to know, what actually happens? Like, someone goes into prison, goes to court to confirm details, back to prison.. how long do they need to wait for court and what happens?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Prison

Postby rufio89 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:15 pm

As far as I know it depends on the trial, court availability etc. I'm sorry I cant be of more help, and I hope everythings ok with your Dad.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:52 am

I don't know either, but I just wanted to say we're thinking of you Captain.

Hopefully it won't be anything too serious and he'll be home again soon.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skarlet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi Captain,

I am really sorry this year isn't starting out so well. This website might be of help to you http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/defendant/arrest/

It sounds like you Dad has been arrested and charged, he has then been remanded to custody, and will then be brought before a court, depending on the severity this could be magistrates or crown. Hopefully this will happen quickly, there are lots of factors that come into play for how long that will take. Lets hope it is not too long.

Skarlet.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks guys. I still know very little about what happened. All I know was that there was a big fight. His brother saw him on friday and hes supposed to come out today but i've not heard from him. So i've got no idea if hes gonna be let out and thats it or if its still going to court or what. :-?

Thanks for the link too. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Aw Captian I hope things get sorted and more importantly you actually find out what an earth is going on - you must be really frustated ](*,)
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 pm

Okay, my dad has come out and he was involved in a fight. He goes to court on the 25th.
Thats all I know at the mo.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 am

Well, that doesn't sound too bad anyway. Unless some serious damage was done, I doubt he'd be locked up for getting in a fight, so hopefully it will just be a period of good behaviour or a fine.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 am

I dont know, hes out on bail.. so im guessing after the court case, if found guilty, he goes back in?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:14 pm

captainf wrote:so im guessing after the court case, if found guilty, he goes back in?

I really doubt it, but i guess it depends on the severity of the injuries caused.
I suspect he will be given either a fine or probation or maybe even both.
The fine will be for the court costs and he may have to give some kind of 'compensation' to the injured party.

My boyfriend a few years ago was involved in an huge arguement whilst he was in a manic episode (hes bi-polar), which ended up in him pushing the person over. The person only suffered minor grazes to his hands where he fell and my boyfriend got a years probation and £250 fine. Originally he was actually given 3 years probation which he appealed against and it took 8 different court dates (yes 8 :o ) because the courts were waiting on the doctors report to prove my bf's mental state of mind and the doctors refused to give it to them unless the courts paid and it kept going back and forth and was just a huge mess, but thats another story.

I think (and could be wrong here) that the max prison sentence that a magistrates court can give is 6 months. if it goes to crown court then it will be a full trial with a jury and the sentence can be much longer. Please note that i may have the court names mixed up.

Also, it very much depends on what kind of judge (again not too sure if thats the right name) your uncle gets and what kind of mood he or she may be in,
because ive know people who went to court for a lot worse than affray and pushing someone over and they got off with just a caution and no probation, and im talking about people being in possession of class a drugs, actual GBH etc..
From my knowledge it seems like there is no consistency to what the judges gives to 'like for like' crimes.
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby overrated » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 am

Just read this, and hope your dad is doing OK.

Earthchild is right, it does depend on injuries the other guy sustained as to what he is being charged on. All being well it will only be assault, as apposed to ABH or GBH which carry a greater sentence.

If you dad has a good history, e.g no previous offences, steady job and family and the crime is minor I'm sure it wont amount to much.
overrated
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby captainf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks guys. Sorry for my late reply to this.
My dad went to court on the 25th and was given 6 months probation.

Sadly hes in hospital at the moment. He had a seizure on the weekend which the doctors thought maybe related to his diabeties but they put him through a few tests and his sugar levels were fine so they think he had a mini stroke as he cant remember some minor things (just like what day it is) He is only 50.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Sorry to hear that, Captain :( Strokes can happen at any age, but hopefully he should be monitored now to prevent any future problems.

At least the court case didn't turn out too badly.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peecee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Captainf, me dear, you're being quite matter-of-fact about this; can you tell us, or pm any of us, and let us know what you think about all this? Because we know that a mini-stroke isn't the beginning of the end, but it isn't exactly like an ingrowing toenail, and I'm sure you know that.

I suppose I'm just saying - are you ok?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
pee
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks Snail. I havent spoken to him for a few days because hes been in hospital. So I dont know how he is.

Peecee, thanks for asking. I am okay, naturally stressed because we are only into February and 2010 is already a very eventful and stressful year.
When dad gets out mum said I should probably go and stay with him for a while.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Chit Chat