The big freeze

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

The big freeze

Postby Jo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:56 am

Just wondering how everyone is coping with the snow and ice! Has anyone actually escaped it's wrath? Who has got to work and who is snowed in? Any broken bones?
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: The big freeze

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:23 am

I have made it to work, thankfully the trains were running. Having to keep an eye on them, and probably having to leave early, as the trains stopped running at 15.00 yesterday. It sucks, I hate it with a passion.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:34 am

We've had a lot of snow in the north-east. I've been getting to and from work ok as I walk (which is a bit unfortunate in a way as if I had a drive to work I might have been able to stay off, haha). I've been slipping and sliding all over the place, but I've managed to stay on my feet so far. I thought the snow was nice at first, but I am sick to death of it now.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 pm

I just got some post :o :o :o

I don't know how the postie did it. He just smiled and said "The post must go on". He must have sledged here I think!
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ToriL87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Theres not really much snow in N. Ireland :( it's mostly just mush.
Sorry, can't hang out, it's Quidditch season. You know how it is...
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Jo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 pm

snail wrote:"The post must go on"

Lol! I like that one!

I'm at work today but worked at home on Monday and Wednesday, came home early on Tuesday. The walking boots that I bought over 12 months ago are finally getting some use!

People are complaining a lot about the gritters in my area but I think they're doing a good job - main roads seem to be clear and gritted - which is all you can expect during unusual circumstances like these. Some people seem to want a personal gritting service right to their front door! People just love to complain, lol!

I can't help worrying about people who can't get out on foot though, either because they aren't physically able or because they're stuck inside with young children and no help.

Seems It's not over yet either!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 60134.html
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Mr. LemonJUice simply just cannot work in this weather, it's really frustrating him. He's a builder and even though he would work in the snow if he could, he just cant. The concrete would freeze before it set. Not good.
So i've got him whinging that he cant work. THEN, his truck wouldnt start so he cant even go practise Snooker (Big match at the end of the month). So not good all round for Mr. LemonJuice.

As for me and my Daughter, we're having fun. We built a snowman on Tuesday and then yesterday we built a snow woman and a baby one hahaha. Was good fun.

I'm not one for snow really, it doesnt frighten me and it doesnt really bother me going out in it. But what really gets on my nerves is people complaining constantly about it. It's snowed, big deal. Lol. Sorry if i offend.
I went to Canada for a month with the family when I was younger to see family and it snowed HEAVILY over there, it was thigh high. And everything went on as normal over there. Although we did get snowed in lol, literally.

BUT, saying that, i get the winter blues really bad. It's just over a mnth till my holiday and i really cannot wait to get to some warmer weather.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby highlandcow » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm stuck at home after waiting 45 minutes for a bus to work which never showed.
Haven't fallen over yet but I reckon it's only a matter of time! :D

It's quite nice to be home in the warm and not at work. I'm jealous of my boyfriend though - he's in Australia!
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:01 pm

We have been coping ok so far just getting a bit fed up now and wish it would go away!Kids school has been closed for the past 2 days as the teachers are finding it hard to get there.Im just as pleased cos I was having to leave 15 minutes ealier to walk making sure I dont fall.At first it was nice building snowmen and sledging but now its just a cycle of wet carpets,washing clothes and keeping the gas metre topped up! :(
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm fed up of the snow. People aren't coming into work and the bosses are just saying "aww they must be stuck" I want to scream they can get a bus! Yesterday it took me 50mins to get to work an an hour to get home (it's normally 15mins drive). Today I got the bus and walked the last mile/mile and a half and the boss asked how I got in and said "it's ok when you can get a bus" - err yes I can get a bus and walk just like everyone else at work ARGH! People at work do live out in the countryside which is acceptable them not coming in but for people who live down the road it's ridiculus.

I can offically say I am fed up of the snow (or rather traffic problems).
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby peecee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:05 pm

This week I've been working at home, because I've got the computer and all the boring paperwork there. Oh, and 6 inches of snow all around.

Today I drove in (because I was stir-crazy), it took me 40 minutes to drive 2 miles to the office, and 50 minutes back. Not doing that again any time soon. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeese let's have some sunshine... :cry:
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ogadai » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 am

it's been herendous... college has been shut for 3 days straight now at Brockenhurst and i've got exams next week!! majorly worried they might be postponed till much, much later which means all that work over christmas for practically nothing!
still a snow day is a snow day i suppose, hoping to get some fun tomorrow as i've been trapped inside revising for the past couple of days!
Time. Time is an artificial construct. An arbitrary system based on the idea that events occur in a linear direction at all times. Always forward, never back. Is the concept of time correct? Is time relevant?
Ogadai
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby brfc » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:53 pm

im very fortunate that i live on the hospital site were i work so able to get in no problems but being a car park attendent works a bit slow as no cars are getting into the hospital at the mo.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:28 pm

The big freeze part 2!

Has anyone else been suffering the more recent snow?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:30 am

Nope. I heard next week is a return to -12 though.
I liked the snow back in december but our winters are becoming a joke now with ridiculous negative temperatures for such long periods of time.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Chit Chat