sausage Sausage

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

sausage Sausage

Postby mattmxl » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Why is it that whenever I type the word sausage into here, it produces the word sausage?! I was reading back one of my posts the other day and saw that I had written sausage there when I had no recollection of doing so, I just put it down to being tired when I typed it. But now its happened again, and I'm pleased it has because I was questioning my own sanity there for a very brief moment, lol.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: sausage Sausage

Postby Skarlet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Its the swearing filter employed by Peecee, (I think). All swear words are changed to food items, like jelly.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 pm

The site automatically picks up on swears words and changes them to something more child-friendly! It's actually quite amusing some of the words which replace the swear words
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby ToriL87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 pm

thats quite amazing... do the same swear words always become the same food items then?
Sorry, can't hang out, it's Quidditch season. You know how it is...
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby snail » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 pm

It's common for forums to have swear filters, for obvious reasons. Sometimes they are optional - you can opt to turn them on or off as you view the site. Admins can pick which words to remove, and what to automatically replace them with. Not sure who decided to replace that word with "sausage" though . . . :-k

When people get around the filter by using alternative spellings, one of us mods edits the post to remove the word (I've left Matt's at the moment, though, in consideration of his sanity :lol: ). I've become quite inventive as to what 'replacement' words I can use and still keep the person's original meaning! We're fairly tough on swearing here on PP, as apart from the fact that children may read it, I think it just gives the wrong 'feel' to the site.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skarlet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 pm

I like that swearing isn't allowed. I always try to edit my posts so I am not swearing. Not that i have a problem with swearing. My bosses always used to apologise for swearing in front of me.. I am not really sure why!
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby mattmxl » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Oh right, I understand about filters but wasn't aware that the particular word I used was still considered a swear word. I always use it generally as an expression of frustration.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:57 pm

What word, Matt? I can't see any bad words in your opening post. You must be confused :wink:
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mattmxl » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:17 pm

What, I didn't type sausage, I typed sausage, sausage I tell you! I'm not insane, I'm really not insane!
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby peecee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Skarlet wrote:Its the swearing filter employed by Peecee, (I think). All swear words are changed to food items, like jelly.

Hey, if I were the only mod/admin in charge of the swear filter, every naughty word would be changed to "ice cream" :bounce:. Hm - there's a thought...look out... :-k

We've all been on forums where anything goes - and sometimes the serious message is lost in a distracting mass of swear words. PP isn't a boringly Politically Correct website with no freedom of expression; but as Snail says, it's a forum for any age, including children, so there has to be boundaries.

Anyway, what's wrong with sausages...???? :P

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby highlandcow » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:11 pm

God, this whole thread really made me laugh! :lol:
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Chit Chat