Weight loss, portion control and boredom!

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Weight loss, portion control and boredom!

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 pm

snail wrote:I never put on weight on my boobs :(

I can sleep on my tummy if I want though, so there you go.

Push up bras, gel bras and air bras - you can always fake it :wink:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby everloney » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey guys, so i lost 5 pounds this week! AMAZING...
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby whoopsie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:30 pm

Yay!! =D> Well done

I've hardly eaten over the last few days as I've had a cold and I lost my appetite when I'm ill. My smaller size work trousers don't feel so small which is good. Not that I'm saying not eating is the way to go..
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:08 pm

everloney wrote:Hey guys, so i lost 5 pounds this week! AMAZING...

well done everlonely =D>

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby funk33 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Millenia wrote:
i wouldn't recommend a lot of weight training.

Millenia!

I know this is an old post but thought I would reply anyway. The above is extremely bad advice, weight training is an excellant way to lose weight and is brilliant exercise. Without going into too much detail it has massive benefits such as burning fat even after you aren't exercising as muscle uses quite a lot of calories just to maintain itself, promoting fat loss through hormone production and prevents injuries through core strength. Everyone should incoroprate some resistance training into their workouts be this free weights, kettlebells, body weight or any other type.
funk33
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RagDoll » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 am

I just wanted to gloat and tell you all I have lost 12 lbs so far :D I still have quite a way to go, but at least I'm heading in the right direction these days!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby jen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:46 am

Hey

I haven't posted in this thread but i've been on a diet for the past 19 (nearly 20) weeks.

I went to weightwatchers a few years ago so still have the calculator, books etc from then but this time i'm doing it at home. I even bought a set of WW scales from argos and weigh myself every monday morning.

I lost 2lb this week so i'm now at 3st 9lb. Still got a wee bit to go but i've already lost 6lb or so since i tried on my wedding dress a few weeks ago.

Anyone else doing weightwatchers?

Jen
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 am

Wow, congratulations to both of you! =D>

*Snail smiles at Ragdoll and Jen through gritted teeth and wonders if she should give up her own all-chocolate diet* :-k

Jen, have you really lost 3 and a half stone? :o
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:32 am

Yeah just over 3 and a half. I had a lot to lose though. I was waaay too heavy. I still want to shed another 2 stone.

I haven't given anything up really because of the points system used by WW. I still have a sweetie nearly every day but rather than having a dairy milk, i'll have something like a curly wurly at 2.5 points or one of those milky way crispy rolls at 1.5. Also WW caramel shortcake and chocolate cupcakes or chocolate brownies are good for a quick fix at 1.5 points.

Sorry i know it probably sounds as though i should work for weightwatchers but it really has done me right with the weightloss. The only time i gained was during Christmas week where i stopped thinking about what i was eating and just had loads of chocolate, mince pies, wine and jack daniels. I lost it all the following week though :D

I'm going to post before and after pics when i get to where i want to be.

Also i'm not lying when i say that i didn't find it very difficult at all. It just seems to come off as long as i keep within my points. Plus it's good because i can save them up and have a splurge at the weekend.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm

well done jen and ragdoll =D>

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 pm

wow Jean, that is amazing! Well done! Made my efforts look poor in comparison, haha
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby jen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:10 pm

lol "jean"?? I'm guessing that was a typo.

No, it's just that i had a lot more weight to lose but once i start getting closer to the weight i should be, i imagine it will be a lot harder.

After a party at the weekend where i ate (and drank) a lot i only managed to gain half lb so not too bad.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby seksiclaire » Sun May 23, 2010 3:18 pm

I would recommend the Hannah Waterman DVD. I havent really cut down on food at all and just by doing that twice a week, i have lost 8lbs in 4 weeks. You only have to look at the front cover to know it works. It is hard, but the results are amazing.
seksiclaire
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby stressball » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey All, I thought I'd piggyback on this section as It's pretty relevant to my issue :) I hope no-one minds!

To cut a long story short, I would like to lose 2-3 stone this year. I am 5"5 and weigh 13 stone which I know is far too heavy (and the doctor's have told me so). I've tried all sorts of diet/exercise plans which have worked for a while but I've soon put the weight back on again.

Basically I know I have to follow the 2 most fundamental rules in losing weight: eat less, move more! But I just wondered what I'm planning to do, if anyone thinks this will be enough?

The "DO'S" I'm planning to adopt are:

- eat 3 square meals a day (and try to cut out snacking)
- eat healthier foods and try and cut out all junk food which includes crisps, sweets, chocolate, cakes, takeaways etc but have the occasional treat
- drink more water
- cut out all alcohol (which is easy as I don't tend to drink that much anyway)
- walk to work and back every day mon-fri (this takes half hour each way so I'd be doing an hour every day - I do this pretty much already as I don't drive) - and on the days I do get a lift I do the equivalent time doing my aerobics DVD at home
- at the end of january incorporate weights to tone my arms and tummy
- eat slowly as my husband says I tend to "wolf my food down" which I do admit, I do!
- use alternative contraception (I've been on the Pill for 10 years now and would like a break to see if this helps with weight loss)

The "DONT'S" I'm planning to adopt are:

- not to set strict goals as to how much I want to lose (as if I start to not hit my target every week I get de-motivated)
- not weigh myself (sounds strange I know, but I'm going more on the feel of my clothes at the moment)
- do not set a strict regime for exercise - I do lots of exercise in the beginning then find 2 weeks in, cant keep up and either injure myself or resent not spending time doing other things!
- do not set a strict regime for what I'm going to eat (I find I'm hungrier some days more than others, and If I plan a light meal when I'm hungry, I tend to feel resentful)

Well that's it for now. If this works, I hope to keep this up for the rest of my life - my dads' side of my family suffer from high cholesterol / blood pressure / type 2 diabetes and I want to try and minimise that risk to myself, plus I want to be healthy as I want to concieve in the next couple of years. So all the best intentions and motives are there...i just hope I'm doing it right.... does anyone else have any other suggestions/recommendations?? Ideally I'd love to lose the majority of the weight by July as we have a big family party and I want to impress everyone hehe!!
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Jayz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am

Hi all,

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned on here before, apologies but I haven't looked through the entire thread, but one great way to lose weight is to eat foods that are low GI. There is so much talk about "avoiding carbs" etc but this is absolute BS. You need carbs in your body to function, afterall, they provide your body with energy.

The key to weight loss and a healthy diet, however, is to eat carbs that are low GI. In rough terms, GI is a measure of how fast the carbs in a specific foodstuff will be absorbed into your body. Low GI foods take longer to be absorbed and therefore make you feel fuller for longer. They also keep the blood sugar level at a lower level which lowers the risk of diabetes and coronary diseases.

In a nutshell: Replace the carbs you eat with low GI carbs and you will lose weight and be healthier.

The list of High GI foods is mostly common sense but does also through up a few surprises. Processed sugar, i.e. sweets and chocolate etc are obviously ones to avoid. But stuff like rice, pasta, potatoes and bread are often worse offenders.

Try replacing: the rice in your diet with red lentils (they also taste great in a curry ;))
the pasta in your diet with Quinoa
the bread in your diet with pumpernickel/rye bread.
the potatoes in your diet with beans.

If you do go for potatoes go for new potatoes.

Natural yoghurt and all bran is the ideal slow burning breakfast. Eggs, baked beans and mushrooms on pumpernickel bread is a more appetising but equally healthy start to the day.

The GI is definitely not definitive. There are of course other factors to take into consideration. A graet guide is, the more natural (i.e. less processed) a food is, the healthier it can be.

I've lost a stack on a GI diet and I feel like I have loads more energy than I did before. I thoroughly recommend you give it a go!
Jayz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Physical