eating alone

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

eating alone

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Just wondering does anyone else find it difficult to eat in restaurants alone? I am on a training course this week, its far from home, so I am in a hotel, and I have been eating out every night. I find going into restaurants on my own really awkward, and I feel like a bit of a 'loser'. I know I am not really, but I always feel the staff are a bit condescending.

Ack, i am just moaning, I should be thankful that I am on a course. :)
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: eating alone

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi Skarlet,

I know where you're coming from, I've eaten in cafes in alone and I found that a bit odd.
It does feel like everyone is looking at you, even though they probably aren't! (Didn't mean that in a horrible way! :o )

I'd take a book or a magazine, so even if people are looking at you, then you won't know it!

Or, since you're in a hotel, you can always get room service of course! :P
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm

I have a limit unfortunately and with tray charge, there aren't many items on the room service menu that comes under 15 quid.

I have taken books and magazines and they help, I also think it might come down to the fact, that I don't know where I am very well, and I end up feeling a bit trapped into going certain places, which makes me feel worse if you know what I mean. And by the time I get food, all the couples and friends are out, and then I feel jealous, and then I get grumpy, cos I am on my lonesome.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 pm

Skarlet wrote: And by the time I get food, all the couples and friends are out, and then I feel jealous, and then I get grumpy, cos I am on my lonesome.

Oooh....know what you mean! It feels like there is a massive spotlight over your head!

I guess another option would be to get takeaways and bring them back to the hotel.

Or you can always call someone while you're eating, to make you feel a bit less alone. I think that's what I'd do. :P

Whereabouts are you, and what's the course (I'm so nosy!)
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 pm

I am in bristol, and the course is...wait for it, its soooo thrilling! Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory.

For all my joking, I am actually really enjoying it. Which is good, as I need to pass the exam next. :)
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:54 pm

Skarlet wrote:Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory.

Wow! I'd be totally lost! :-?

Still if the course is only for a week it shouldn't be so bad to cope with dinner every night.
And I've heard that Bristol is nice as well. (Not that I've actually been!) :D

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:07 pm

yeh it is nice, just not so cool when you have no idea where things are, but I have got a nice hotel, and the course has been good.

Yeh I don't think many people would fancy my course, I have worked in IT for a few years now, and my company are paying so I can earn more money and things when I leave there. (Although that won't be for a few years. They have me tied in now for two years, or I have to pay back the costs of my courses..)
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jen » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:49 am

Hey

I know exactly what you mean, although i'm worse than you because i actually can't go into a restaurant alone, let alone eat in one. I can't even go into mcdonalds to get something because i just get this fear that everyone is watching (i know it's totally sill and they probably have better things to look at) To be honest i can't even wait in a restaurant if i'm going to eat with someone, i always wait outside.

It's kinda the same with pubs. If i'm going with my friends, i make them walk in in front of me or if i'm meeting them and they're already in there, i need one of them to come out and meet me.

How strange we are eh lol
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 am

Actually Jen I am pretty similar, I like people to walk in to restaurants and pubs too, I hate being the first in. I am not so bad, if I know someone is in there. I woould love to get more confident about it, but I always just feel pretty rubbish when I have to sit there.

I am glad its not just me.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am

I'm a bit like this too - I'm not too bothered about eating lunch in a cafe by myself, but I know I would hate eating dinner in a restaurant on my own. It's silly though as it's not really a big deal when you think about it. At least you don't know anyone (I assume!) in Bristol Skarlet, I think I'd feel worse thinking I might see someone I knew, incase they assumed I was just a loser having dinner by myself!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 am

PS: Isn't there anyone on the course that you could grab dinner with? I assume there must be other people doing the course that aren't in their home town? Even if they don't work in the same company as you, they'll be in the same position, so might appreciate the company?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:20 pm

I've been on a course and ate alone; there was one other person in the restaurant eating alone and if he'd came in earlier I might have asked him to join me; you know just for a chat as he looked really self conscious. Worse than me and I was the only girl in the restaurant.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby mattmxl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:12 pm

I do it all the time and the odd feelings you get eventually wear off. When you live a life as lonely as mine is (cue for large showering of pity lol) you have to eat alone or you'll die of starvation. And there are just times when you don't feel like cooking yourself or you fancy the taste of restaurant food, and if its go alone or don't go, then I'll go. Might as well, its an opportunity wasted otherwise isn't it. Gotta make the most out of your time on this earth.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Chit Chat