Embarrassing And Untrendy Question About Going Out

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Embarrassing And Untrendy Question About Going Out

Postby snail » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 pm

OK, people, this is an embarrassing question to post here. And not even embarrassing in an exciting way, like when you've got a growth that looks like Donald Sutherland on your bottom or you can't stop yelling "Geronimo!" when having sex. Just embarrassing in a rather pathetic way.

I'm 36, soon to be 37. (No, that's not the embarrassing bit, read on!). When I was about 15 I started doing all the usual teenage things of going out drinking and partying quite a lot, wearing too little clothing, and being too interested in, erm, gentlemen friends :oops: . By the time I was 18 I had grown out of this really; I actually don't like alcohol particularly and not long afterwards I had to move out of home, so going out became less of a priority than being able to pay the heating bill. I've never really gone back to the whole night life thing, partly because I felt I had done it and got it out of my system, and partly because booze is a big feature of these nights, and if you don't like alcohol there's much less incentive to go.

Anyway, the upshot is I haven't been out clubbing or anything like that for about 20 years. But I recently fell in with a new group of people (friends of a distant friend) who do the club scene a lot and enjoy it, and they've asked me to come out with them for a big birthday celebration, revolving around two large clubs in a local town, and stumbling home about 2am. I want to get to know these people, plus to be honest I felt a sudden surge of renewed interest – I might have a new perspective on getting drunk and making an idiot of myself after all this time, and anyway I should do it before I get too old!

But, it's been so long since I did anything like this, I don't actually know what goes on in nightclubs anymore (I can't remember much about what I did 20 years ago!). And as I don't know these people very well at all, I really don't want to make a fool of myself. As this site is full of trendy people (and Peecee :wink: ) I thought I'd ask you guys: do nightclubs have a dress code usually, and what do most ladies wear? What should I wear, given the time of year - I mean do you queue in the cold but they are hotter than the sun when you get in there? Do they have a fee to get in? Do you need proof of age? Do you leave your coat anywhere, or keep everything with you? Do people actually dance, or just stand around drinking? And the final humiliating question – what drinks do people drink and can you recommend any? I haven't bothered with booze for so long - I always get an orange juice or something when I'm in a pub :oops:
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Embarrassing And Untrendy Question About Going Out

Postby Skarlet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Snail,

It really depends on the nightclub- why not google them and look at the photos?? I haven't been clubbing in a while- hoping to remedy that, but alas I have no friends around my home town and now am single. Nightclubs normally have cloakrooms for coats, but a safe place for purses and that is normally recommended. I wear jeans heels and a sparkly top, but whatever you feel comfortable in really. Some people dance, some people stand at the sides and chat, there are normally seated areas. You may need proof of age, but they normally don't id everyone.

I would recommend sailor jerrys and coke, which is a spiced rum, or whatever you fancy- they will have shots like sambuca, tuaca, and so on if you like shooters.

Just relax and have fun!
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Ah, so you can wear jeans then? I seem to remember back in the dark ages when I last did this that jeans were banned, they wouldn't let you in.

Yes, I suppose it will depend on the club won't it #-o. I just don't want to get there and find I'm the only one who can't get in because I didn't know some crucial thing like not wearing jeans or bringing proof of age (regardless of how old you look). As no one really knows me, I don't think they would feel comfortable leaving me on my own to make my own way home, so I might spoil it for everyone.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skarlet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I would definitely check out their websites- most clubs have em nowadays- whether on facebook or myspace. Why not check it out, and see what the rules are? Thats what I would do, especially if i didn't know the clubs. It might also help with knowing what music, you can see pictures and that too. Trainers were banned when i was younger, but I used to go to a alternative nightclub, so my experiences may be slightly different.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby highlandcow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Snail,

The others are right it does depend on the club but most clubs nowadays have groups on Facebook so I would look there for more info.

snail wrote:And not even embarrassing in an exciting way, like when you've got a growth that looks like Donald Sutherland on your bottom or you can't stop yelling "Geronimo!" when having sex

By the way....that made me literally howl with laughter! :P
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Liquidius » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Living down here in Sunny Cornwall, we haven't actually caught up with the rest of the world yet, so it goes a bit like this down here!

Dress Code
Er...no. To be honest, it's too much of a hassle with all us locals down here. But like others have said, it very often depends on the place! Check it out, or see what others are wearing. I know some places do.

Warm, or Cold?
It's usually freezing outside, so I always take a coat, and a nice warm scarf. They usually have cloak rooms (which you're normally charged for), and they give you a token with a number on it to hand in at the end of the evening. My advice, don't get drunk and lose it (not that I've ever done that...).

To get in?
Yes, it usually costs money. Unless there's a special offer! Some clubs insist on proof of ID, others don't both, so take it just in case!

Dancing?
Yep! Usually. If you go too early, people tend to stand around a bit, but the more alcohol, the more people are willing to dance!
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Wow, thanks, guys, this is great stuff. I never would have thought of the Facebook thing.

Re the proof of age, I sadly don't look under 21 at all, but I wondered if some clubs these days had a standard policy of only admitting those carrying proof of age. From what I've seen walking past the queues sometimes, 95% of people going in look about 14!

Highland - well we get a lot of embarrassing posts on here, but at least they are fun embarrassing and juicy to read :wink:. This is just a bit lame!

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby highlandcow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:04 pm

snail wrote:Highland - well we get a lot of embarrassing posts on here, but at least they are fun embarrassing and juicy to read . This is just a bit lame!

I think it's just my sense of humour but that just really tickled me for some reason!

Have fun when you go...and let us know how you found it after 20 years!
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Skarlet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 pm

The only time I have known a nightclub to ID everyone was on exam result nights, unfortunately for me, that was about ten years ago lol.

I hope you have a brilliant time Snail, don't worry about it at all, I am sure you will have a brilliant time. Let us know how it goes. :D
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 am

Snail, hun (thanks for the name check! :D) it's good to see you getting out more, but NOT after 9pm. [-X

All I can advise you is; wear thick, warm underwear in case you have to queue for ages in the cold. Carry a little hip flask of sherry in your handbag. Take your knitting with you in case you get bored. Oh, and ear plugs - the music (call it music? Can you sing along to it? Well, CAN you??) can sometimes be loud enough to keep you awake.

Have fun, dear.

xxxxxxxxxxx
pee

btw - Donald Sutherland? He's too old even for me! Don't you mean David Tennant??? =P~
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 am

No, Pee, I couldn't possibly imagine a growth that looked like David Tennant somehow. Whereas I can totally imagine one that looks like Donald Sutherland. . . :-k

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Liquidius » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Peecee, I'd love to take you clubbing. I want to witness the knitting and earplugs for myself!
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 pm

*Whoops - forgot to remind Snail to take sandwiches and a flask of soup.* #-o

Liquidius, you might want to stand at the other end of the bar; if I get thrown out for checking young (male) bottoms for strangely-shaped growths, you wouldn't want people to think it's YOUR granny who's been dragged off.

Even though it would be SNAIL'S fault :badgrin:
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Snail,

If it makes you feel any better. I'm 28 and can't remember the last time I was in a club :D

I do remember living near and in a seaside resort that the outfits varied from fancy dress, to barely wearing anything to jeans and a t-shirt so I think you can get away with anything these days.

I know from my sister having been to uni that they tend to ID everyone in uni towns - I went up to stay with her for the weekend and didn't think to take mine with me. Thankfully the bouncer was nice and we smiled and giggled as we look very similar and we got in.

Like the others have said most have cloakrooms. I know a pub here has recenlty opened and they have various areas so a dancefloor and somewhere where you can just chill out.

A club I used to go to had two floors and played retro music on one (well stuff I recognised :oops: ) and the more up to date noise on the other.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Well I last went to a club a few weeks back with my mate and was shocked that it was full of older woman (I am 38 and they were all a lot older than me) making complete idiots of themselves. Skirts too short, too much make up and acting like teenagers
If my experience is anything to go by you will look like one of the sensible people (not in a pecee sensible way of course with the knitting and earplugs)

Trust me even when you go to a club with youngsters they ar usually all so drunk no one really has a clue whats going on sadly

Anyway you may have already been by now if you have how did it go?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Next

Return to Chit Chat