Should i stay or should i go?

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Should i stay or should i go?

Postby hana.15 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm

I am a first year student in 6th form, where i took 4 subjects plus the compulsary welsh bac (Key skills ECT)

I am currently studying
Performing arts
Film studies
Applied Science
English litrature

To cut a long story short, i had a breakdown the other day because i was not coping with my school work, as i have a lot given to me in terms of coursework and general homework on a week to week basis. Exams are coming up in the next few weeks and i am getting very stressed out over them. I had a long talk with my mum and boyfriend, and we came to terms that i was going to finish 6th form in june and go to collage to do childcare which is what i wanted to do in the first place. At the same time i wa going to drop the 2 subjects that i am failing at so at least i know i can pass the other 2 with an AS level, rather than wasting a year.

Anyway, i went into school today and spoke to my head of year who is saying that i have the potential to carry on all 4 subjects and pass them all easily., which i completly disagree with. She said that if i go to collage i wont be able to become what i really want to be, and that i will jus tbe going back on myself. She also told me that an E grade at A level and AS level is still a pass (the lowest pass grade you can get) and for anybody to get an E would be a great acomplishment.

So now i am stuck with what to do because i do want to continue my plans of going to collage, as it what i wanted to do and the work structure (3 days collage, 2 days placement) suits me better. Also because i know i want to work with children, it would be more realistic for me to do a full course with working with children, than for me to do 4 subjects with nothing to do with children.

What would you do in my situation?

Hannah x
hana.15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Should i stay or should i go?

Postby snail » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Well if you're sure childcare is what you want to do, then it does seem more sensible to go to college, rather than studying four subjects which have no connection with this. Your head of year probably meant that these subjects would give you a much broader base to go on and do what you want at some future time, and they will - with English, science etc you could do almost anything, whereas if you study childcare that's all you will be qualified in. But you can always study again later on if you wish.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hana.15 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:53 pm

What she ment by m subjects is that i would easily get a promotion, or be accepted because i had english and science, however these are the two subjects i want to drop.

I also have 10 GCSE's graded C and above, so its not as if im never going to get a job anywhere else, because i will.

Thanks for the help
hana.15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am

I agree that it sounds more sensible to do the childcare course.

I mean this only in the most constructive way, but I disagree with your teacher about getting Es at A-level, I don't think just scraping by will help you in any shape or form. It would be better to do something you're interested in and can excel in (e.g. childcare). Plus, there's nothing wrong with doing something vocational, in fact, it's sometimes better than going down the purely academic route, as you can even go as far as finishing uni and still not have a clue what to do with your life, whereas childcare will set you off on your career path.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby hana.15 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Apparently if i got an E in all my exams i will have 300 UCAS points and will allow me into uni anyway

Thanks x
hana.15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Yeh,I am sure you would, but then again it might not be a very good uni (sorry, but facts are facts), so I think you're better pursuing the childcare course :)
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby hana.15 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Its not about the grades, its about the UCAS points.

And i have searched through the universities, and the one i want to go to is swansea. because they have a fantastic teaching facilitie there which i have heard frm people i know has been there on that course, and they will accept me with 300 ~Ucas points. So no its a good university.
hana.15
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RagDoll » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Ok, go ahead and get yourself A-levels
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to School, College & University