I'd really like to know

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I'd really like to know

Postby captainf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:21 am

Hi guys,

I know this is going to sound like abit of a weird question but theres a good reason why I ask. When you guys travel as passengers on an aircraft would you prefer that airlines put business/profit ahead of your safety?

I only ask this out of general interest because whenever I watch the news and they're reporting on flight cancellations whether its due to weather or some other sort of situation some passengers come out with some of the oddest things. For example with the closing of Airspace in the UK due to the Volcanic ash from Iceland, a Scottish passenger interviewed said something along the lines of 'I cant see why the flights are all cancelled, the ash isnt at surface level' (I addmit, I fell off of my seat laughing at his surface level comment) but then other passengers then complain about how they got up early, or how they had saved for many months to then have their flights cancelled. I can understand how its an inconvenience to have a flight cancelled but surely having your flight cancelled due to safety reasons is alot better than your relatives burying whats left of your body?

I'm just curious what its like from a passengers perspective because in all honesty I think its a good thing that safety comes first.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: I'd really like to know

Postby Jo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:43 am

I agree, safety first. I can't believe anyone would actually complain about having their flight cancelled under these circumstances. You might be disappointed, yes, but to actually complain as if it's someone's fault? That I can't understand.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby RagDoll » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:02 am

I think everyone, including the people that you saw interviewed, would rather their safety came first. People are just venting as it's a frustrating situation; I'm sure they don't, deep down, want to board a plane and fly in those conditions, I'm sure they're just very pee'd off they can't get to wherever they were going to. People say all sorts of things they don't REALLY mean when they're narked!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:16 am

Exactly, they're just angry and disappointed, they obviously don't really want to fly under unsafe conditions. You can't be angry at a cloud of dust, so they have to direct it somewhere, it's human nature.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:02 am

Thanks for the replies.
Its very interesting to hear what you all think. I can understand that they want to channel their anger somewhere but I sometimes find it hard to understand why people get so angry about this. I mean, when theres a problem, theres a problem and its safer to cancel flights than let them go and risk peoples lives.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby peecee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:07 pm

You're right, captainf, but people still have lives, plans, commitments; and there's such a feeling of helplessness when something like this happens and they can't do anything about it. Not helped by the lack of information. I think airlines should supply all customers with a pillow to thump. :lol:

btw, hun, it's alright for you to talk - are you reading the newspaper headlines? "Million Britons stranded by Ash"???

Naughty boy. [-X

:wink:
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:56 pm

peecee wrote: but people still have lives, plans, commitments

Yeh, if you're meant to be going on holiday, have booked the hotel etc. etc. and can't make it, it's understandable you're upset and a bit angry about the situation. Particularly for those that work full-time... having holidays booked is something to look forward to (I know it helps keep me sane knowing I have some time off coming up!)... having that ruined is a complete bummer, even when it's no ones fault.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:22 am

Yeah, I suppose we all deal with things like that in a different way.
I missed a coach a few years ago. I just rebooked and had to wait 2hrs but it didnt really bother me.
I suppose it depends on how people manage their anger and frustration..

haha Yes, peecee, I decided to ground all flights and ruin everyones weekend :D
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:04 am

It's not quite the same thing as completely missing a holiday, or being stranded in a foreign country with no accommodation or money for an unknown period of time.

I see Cobra have decided to send naval vessels to retrieve all the stranded Britons.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8628878.stm
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 pm

It is the same. It relates to stress management, which some people are bad at.
Like for example when passengers arrive late at the airport and miss their flight, some freak out and blame the staff. Theres no point if its your fault. It was my fault when I missed my coach home so I just rebooked (like airline passengers can do)

According to the BBC another ash cloud is on its way towards the UK which may ruin tomorrows plans to re-open parts of the airspace.
Also seems like some airlines are unhappy about the airspace closure - I wonder if the airlines CEO's would still be unhappy about the closure if they were the men and women that had to fly their aircraft with the possible ash cloud risk.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 pm

For anyone interested theres a webcam that overlooks the volcano..

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 pm

eerie 8-[
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby misatok11 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Well safety is a priority. The airlines are more balanced on a risk approach, they want to fly but limited to options.
According to reports on the news airports are to reopen but according to my colleagues in NATS they are still shut as far as they are aware, well the airspace is.

Watch this space!
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Hmm! The first plane to land at Heathrow was a BA B747-400 that landed at 10pm and came in from canada and there have been more since.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat