UFO's

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

UFO's

Postby captainf » Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi guys,

I was looking through the tv guide and realised that theres a program on tonight about UFO's.
This got me thinking, have any of you seen any UFO's? Or do you think that its absolute rubbish?
What do you think they could be - spaceships from outerspace or secret military aircraft?
I'm just interested in hearing your opinions or stories. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: UFO's

Postby RagDoll » Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 am

I don't believe in them, I personally think it's a load of rubbish. In a lot of cases, people see what they want to see and/or they're hoaxes.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Mon May 10, 2010 11:33 am

Well, I tend to be rather rational about it. While other intelligent life obviously exists (balance of probability given the size of the universe) the chances of it arriving on this planet at the same time that we are living here is statistically negligible, given the distances involved in interstellar travel and the fact that two intelligent species are unlikely to both be alive at the same time (balance of probability given the length of time the universe has existed for - a species evolves and dies out in what is effectively the blink of an eye in relation to astronomical time). Therefore no aliens.

I think people who report them mistake aircraft, weather balloons etc for aliens or are simply hallucinating, especially hypnagogic hallucinations in the case of alien abduction.

Oddly enough I'm a huge fan of sci-fi though :-s
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Mon May 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Well I say it is unlikely we are the only living things out there as the universe is soooo big and that's only the bits we know about. Remeber we once thought the wrold was flat so what esle don't we know?

If their are other intelligent life forms who is to say they are not much more intelligent and advanced. If this is true they wouldn't necessarily need to steal our planet or come and do experiments on us

However I have seen a very odd thing in the sky near where I live some years ago. I cannot say diffinitively it was a space craft but it was an unidentified flying object.

I do beleive their are alos perfectly good explanations for some supposed sightings
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 pm

This is interesting because the term UFO stands for any flying machine that cannot be identified - so to most of you here who cant tell the difference between a B737 and an A320, sitting at heathrow all day would mean you see alot of UFO's.. but joking aside, im quite curious, why most jumped to the conclusion I meant visitors from outerspace? Is it not possible for us to have our own UFO's? For example the F1-17 nighthawk was deemed a UFO before the USAF brought it to the public attention. Additionally back during the cold war the US encouraged UFO sightings to enable themselves to get away with recon missions over Russia. Even during WW2 the Germans tried developing a flying saucer.

For those who think UFO's are rubbish - why? I mean with pilots having reported seeing odd things in the sky why should they be discounted when they are more qualified than anyone to tell the difference?

Bel bel, im curious, what did you see? some sort of aircraft or just a bright light? Its fun to hear peoples stories and see if they relate to my own.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ennis81 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Hmmm very interesting!!!
Well I have to say I've always been on the fence about UFO's, I find it very hard to believe that out of ALL the planets that we are the only planet inhibited??!! However there has never really been any concrete evidence that aliens exist, but I do think if the goverments did have any evidence eg: area 51, they would probably cover it up anyway, they only let us know what they want us to know. :)
ennis81
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LemonJuice87 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:40 pm

What if we're all like the 'people' in Men In Black?? :lol:

You never know, your next door nieghbour could be an alien. Just cleverly disguised!

Hell, I could be an Alien! :o
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Tue May 11, 2010 4:03 pm

I saw a bright light that couldn't be explained. It was in the local paper at the time. I will try and find some reported info on it.

I have watched lots of programmes on UFO's and often they can explain many sightings but it's the ones even the experts can't explain that are definately the most interesting

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Tue May 11, 2010 9:19 pm

That rings a bell, bel bel (haha.. sorry) but I think you may of told me about this before!
I think I shared my story with you too?

Speaking of area 51, I think theres mixed messages about that. Some US officials say it doesnt exist, others say it does.. if you type in area 51 to google maps you can actually look down on it and see groom lake and the very long runways too. Additionally its been accepted that the F1-17 nighthawk and SR-71 Blackbird were both developed and flew from there. Infact, the Stealth bomber made visits from there to RAF Machrihanish in scotland during its testing phase when the public didnt know it existed.

The CAA still takes reports seriously. I got an email recently (they send emails to pilots updating them on changes to the Air Nav Order and maps) which stated regulations to reporting a UFO sighting.

Again, im curious, why does everyone always assume UFO = alien spacecraft?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed May 12, 2010 12:35 pm

I think because so many films and documentries etc have focused on UFO's always being about aliens that people make that assumption.

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Thu May 13, 2010 2:16 am

I suppose you're right there.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:44 am

I'm being serious now, but in a way I am really interested in it all...... but also scares me half to death to.

IF there are Aliens out there that do come to our planet, why are they coming? They have run out of food or elements on thier own planet and are coming to ours to get it? Or they are just as bad as humans and are really nosey! Lol.

There's alot of speculation that Aliens have already been here and have already been working with military. Hence Area 51.

But thats just it, speculation. No-one in there right mind is going to actually say "Yes, Aliens have come to Earth and they will probably come again, oh but dont worry. They wont hurt you if you dont put up a fight"

Look at what War of the Worlds did to the Americans (Sorry to any American people on here) when it was first broadcast on the radio. They thought IT WAS REAL!! Newspapers reported that panic ensued, people fleeing the area, others thinking they could smell poison gas or could see flashes of lightning in the distance.

I think with some things you have to take it with a pinch of salt. I dont know whats out there and im not sure what i believe. All i know is, if i saw an Alien as i was walking over to the shop. I would proper freak out and turn into a gibbering wreck.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Thu May 13, 2010 4:29 pm

It all interests me too, but im more interested in the aircraft and technological side of it.

Your thoughts on this are really interesting. I dont really hold an opinion on 'aliens' I dont know if they exist, but considering they say the universe goes on forever the chances are theres some planet somewhere that contains life of some sort. I mean, if Aliens visited earth it would be out of curiousity, just like we are curious about Space.
I think the humans are so worried about defence and protection that we immediately think that anything unknown is a specific threat.

I never knew that about war of the worlds. Thats really quite amusing and shows how peoples minds can get carried away with things. :)

With regards to area 51, its out in a remote part of the desert for a reason. I dont think it houses anything alien, its just a facility to develop new aircraft without being caught out. As I said previously, the SR71 Blackbird and the Stealth aircraft were developed there. They were all top secret aircraft for a good reason. Area 51 is just to hide technology for abit longer. For example isnt it amazing how in 1945 we were fighting a war with spitfires and then 4yrs later we were flying the first jet engined airliner that significantly reduced travel time? I mean that had to be drawn up, planned out and built and test flown and that was done in just 4yrs! You have to wonder how such a big leap was made. The truth is its all about technology and most of the time in the modern day the military lead the way, we civilians dont see that technology until it becomes run of the mill.

Back in around 1990 I saw a flying saucer (I hear you groan but bare with me) It sat stationary about 100ft above a tree opposite my house in London. Even back then I wanted to be a pilot, I was about 6 at the time (But even then I knew alot of aircraft types, I was quite the ace) and I called my nan who was gardening at the time and told her to look up, she basically humoured me and just said 'oh yeah!' as I was always pointing planes out to her. She actually was too close to our house to have a view of it. We still talk of this today and how she remembers humouring me but didnt see it. All I remember was the humming sound that came from it while I looked up and marvelled at it, even then I knew it was something pretty aerodynamically special, and then it randomly zoomed off in a southwesterly direction. Ironically round the corner from us my grandads brother and his wife lived in a flat and saw the exact same aircraft and they describe it in the same way as me even to the point where it just shot off. It was big, around the size of a B747 and an aerdynamic marvel. I dont know who was flying it, probably military personnel, I dont care, i'd just like a go of it but this was 20yrs ago so its probably old tat now :D
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby everloney » Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 pm

I love this thread!! i cannot believe i only just found it!! I agree with snail on the aliens and with captain on area 51. I do have some other off the wall thoughts....

I WANT it to be real i want to believe in aliens, it is depressing to think there is no other intelligent life out there.... I watched a film the 4th kind, i think you guys should watch it, its really creepy... Scietologists believe in aliens and tom cruise cannot be wrong.. ;P

I think there is more to area 51 than just aircraft... its a big deal to people and people think of aliens when they think of it, but what if its not aliens, but human testing?? Many countries have been involved in human experimentation and i don't think america is an exception. I'm sure none of this is going on now, but maybe it was a cover-up (the alien stories i mean..)
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri May 14, 2010 10:47 am

i ACTUALLY THINK IF THERE ARE ALIENS THEY WON'T BE IN AREA 51 BECAUSE IT IS SUCH A WATCHED PLACE - sorry on caps :oops:
People are so fasinated by the place.
I agree with captainf that it has been used to develop new military craft but reckon they won't even do that now as it's just too well known a place.

I also agree no government in their right mind would own up to knowing they were out there. It would cause meltdown.

I too want their to be aliens, they won't necessarily be like in the movies. I just find it too unbelievable that we are the only intelligent life in this vast expanse of space.

I used to get really freaked out thinking about the size of the universe at school, in fact I still could. I mean everything ends somewhere. How can it not end and what's after the end????????

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Next

Return to Chit Chat