Feeling so miserable

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Feeling so miserable

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 pm

I’m feeling really down at the moment, and particularly right now. I don’t really think there’s much advice anyone can offer, so this is probably more of a rant to get it off my chest than anything else.

As some of you know, I work in the public sector. The Government keeps talking of making pretty huge cuts in public sector jobs, which is really scary. I’m not in the best of positions either because a) I’m on a fixed term contract; and b) I don’t really have a huge workload, so it’d be easy to get rid of me. I was originally told that my fixed term contract (which runs out in September) would be extended for 12 months, but I’ve just been informed it’s only going to be extended until March 2011 now. I have just completed the first year of my MSc. and worked damn hard to get the marks I’ve been receiving (I’m on track to get a distinction at the moment) and now it’s looking uncertain that work will fund my second and final year, which means I either pay for it myself, or don’t complete the course.

This is all happening at a time when we were looking to move and now I’m starting to wonder if that’s the best of ideas considering the uncertainty of my job situation. I am SO fed up of where we live right now though. We live in a rubbish estate, full of no-hopers, it gets you down after a while.

I feel like everything is going wrong :( I went to a decent university and worked hard to get myself a decent degree (and have also worked hard to get a good MSc. But don’t know if I can complete it) and just feel like I am getting nowhere in life; even if I keep my job I’m hardly making progress as I don’t have enough work to do to gain meaningful experience. I’ve looked for other jobs, but there’s hardly anything out there, plus, even if I move to another public sector job, there’s still no guarantee I’ll be any more safe or secure as this is a national problem. The private industry in my field of work has already made massive jobs cuts, so they’re not recruiting now either.

I’m probably just feeling ridiculously sorry for myself right now; so apologies if that’s the way this comes across. I know there are plenty of people that have already lost their jobs, so I should be grateful that I’ve still got one for now. I’m just feeling really depressed, everything feels so hopeless!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Feeling so miserable

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:33 pm

I think you are totally normal to be worried
Can you afford to move if you lost your wage, would you both cope? If yes go for it if not yes perhaps you should reconsider. Or possibly move somewhere smaller but in a better area
I think if there are any ways to complete your degree do it, in a few years things will get better and you will glad you made the struggle now when getting a job may be hard anyway at the moment

:grouphug:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:45 pm

With regard to moving, we're not in a straight forward situation, so there's no straight forward answer to your question... basically, let's work on the premise that we're getting a £100k house to make the sums easy. What we're talking of doing is reinvesting the money my partners' Dad gave him for our current house (say £70k) and getting a joint mortgage for the remaining amount (e.g. £30k). So, we'd be paying his Dad back some each month (say £350) and a bank back the remaining amount (say £200). Because the majority of the money would be owed to his Dad, we'd probably be ok if I lost my job as his Dad would be lenient and let us halt repayments for a while. My boyfriend could afford to keep paying the mortgage part of it back by himself.

I could afford to pay to complete my Masters if we don't move. If we do, it'd be difficult to find that money as a lot of my savings are going to spent moving.

I feel like crying right now :(
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:51 pm

don't give up yet you don't know how bad it is going to get
you know you will probably be safe until march so can you save enough between now and then, even if you move, to do the masters
can you get help with the fees if you aren't working?
If you b/f can afford the mortage on his own I think you should make the move, it's never the right time and often things work themselves out. At least you have the option to reduce payments to his dad.
Look at it this way, no job stuck in the house your in all day or stuck in a nice area
If you really can't afford the masters and you do lose your job then you can get some other free training from the government so at least when things pick up you are well educated and show your have tried hard not to be a dosser when unemployed

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:57 pm

My uni fees will need to be paid in September time, so there's not that much time to save. If I get desperate my parents will probably help, but I don't want to rely on other people to bail me out. I would hate not to do the final year of my MSc though because it would just feel like the hard slog I've just had for a year was pretty pointless, as I'd still be Master-less. I have put a lot effort into doing well, thinking it would help me in the long term.

If I lost my job I don't know what training the government could provide for free as I am already pretty qualified? I'd be willing to do just about anything tho. I'd get a job in a shop or whatever if I had to.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 am

Got an email from our Chief Executive this morning saying that we've got to save £13 million over the next 3 years and that's BEFORE the recently announced government spending cuts are taken into account. Scary times :( :( :(
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:37 am

I know you hate to borrow and I totally get that but I think any way you can complete that master you defiantely should. When you are rich and succesful you can pay your parents back with interest :P

Yes scary times indeed. I am in a medical company and with NHS cuts looming it will probably be a bad year :cry:

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 am

Just thought I'd give an update:

Well, it looks like my company are paying my tuition fees again for the final year of my masters. They have committed themselves to doing so by letter, though they haven't actually paid for it yet, so fingers crossed that is all going to work out ok. I am starting my final year again very soon... so more essays and a dissertation are coming my way!

Our department is undergoing a complete restructure at the moment and we were sent the proposed new structure yesterday. It doesn't name individuals, just job titles, so in some cases it's very obvious if you've got a position or not. I have quite a generic job title, so it's not so cut and dry in my case, though it does appear that there are enough posts in our team structure to cover the amount of people already working here. I don't want to be too optomisitc at this point because everything is far from certain at the moment, but I am glad that there was a position on the structure that I could logically be slotted into. There are people in our larger team whose positions have completely disappeared from the structure. Harsh that they've basically been told they're being made redundant via a blanket email!!!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Cheer me up!