Considering bankruptcy

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Considering bankruptcy

Postby Dizzypanda » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi everyone

I have had lots of problems in the last nine months - firstly, I lost a very good job when the company I worked for went into liquidation very quickly - I went from a highly paid job to no job and having to claim Income Support which was a big problem for me as I have worked since I was fifteen. I had no redundancy and had a large mortgage and several credit cards so it was a dire time for me. I was also heavily into an affair and had given large sums of money that I took out on my mortgage to my partner in the vain belief that one day we would be together - that is now all finished but I had stupidly taken on debts in my name and am landed with them now - I cannot believe how stupid I have been.

My husband walked out 7 years ago and left me with three children, a mortgage and numerous debts that I had to work three seperate jobs to try to pay - I worked my way up the company I was working for and even though I sacrificed time spent with my children I did manage to keep a roof over their head and thought I was doing a good job. That was until I got involved with an old friend of mine and everything went wrong.

One of the things I took finance out on was a van - he basically drove off in it one day and now the finance company want their money - how should I approach getting it back? Do I have to go to the police as he signed the van over to himself without my knowledge (he must have taken the V5 from my house).

My house has a small amount of equity in it but it has been my family home (I have three children, 19,16,10) and really do not want to sell the house as I would have nowhere to live and would not like to upset the children but I have spoken to a debt management company and they tell me that bankruptcy is the only option.

Does anyone have any advice? I was hoping to take advantage of the mortgage rescue scheme and sell my house to a housing association so I could still live in it even though I have put a lot of money into it I would rather keep it as a home and be able to pay off my creditors.

Thanks for reading this.
Dizzypanda
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Considering bankruptcy

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 am

I would talk to the citizens advice. If the company want their money you could possible suggest they reposses the van and tell them where it is. Yes you may ned to get the police involved if he fraudulently took teh v5 and changed the owner details.
Either way citizens advice will tell you the best way forward.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:31 am

I agree with Bel Bel.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Dizzypanda » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Thank you to both replies - I have been trying to get an appointment but they are so busy that the nearest one I can get is for 23rd September!

I am also going to write to the finance company with everything I know.
Dizzypanda
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby ILoveChristmas » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi John, welcome. Just a quick reminder to check the last post date before replying. In this case the last reply was 10 months ago.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peecee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:21 pm

It's ok, ILC - John00 was selling a service. :-?
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Bumping old posts is one of the characteristics of spammers, it's how we often spot them quickly :x

But don't worry, me and Pee zap them pretty fast. (Pee, you only got this one 'cos I was at college today. Race you for the next one :badgrin: )
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peecee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Snail, I zapped one this morning who'd already posted three loads of rubbish.

I thought of you as I did it, and whistled a happy little tune to myself...:bounce:

Do you think there's a PPer on the planet who still thinks the mods or the admins are even a teeny bit grown-up? :wink:
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ILoveChristmas » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:03 pm

See i'd be no use as a mod', I wasn't paying enough attention to notice he was a spammer. Oh well, go you guys :D
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Finances