Spoilt Birthday

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Spoilt Birthday

Postby Slingers » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Hello there, long time no post. Unfortunately a situation has arose where I need some good advice, and I am too worried to speak to the people in case they don't take me seriously and think I am lying. Well here goes, basically I had planned a birthday party for me and some friends for my 17th at my house. I had spoken about it to my Mum but we didn't communicate properly and unfortunately some details got left out. Anyway, just before the party my parents decided that they were uncomfortable with me having my friends round and didn't trust me. So I had the task of sending them home again, now I've pretty much fallen out with my friends and because of my Mother, I have to pick up the pieces. I want my friends to understand that I didn't do it out of maliciousness or spite, and it pretty much ruined my birthday when it was out of my control.
Slingers
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Spoilt Birthday

Postby snail » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, I really think your parents should have known it would cause you grief with your friends and ruin your birthday, and been a bit more understanding. But all you can do is explain to your friends exactly what happened and that it wasn't your fault. Your friends will probably calm down in a while and realise that anyway.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spoilt Birthday

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:12 am

It seems quite easy to say your parents were being unreasonable and that they shouldn't have caused that kind of trouble for you, but...

"I had spoken about it to my Mum but we didn't communicate properly and unfortunately some details got left out."

What details got left out and how important were they? What i'm getting at is you saying "mum, i'd like to have a couple of friends round" isn't the same as saying "mum, i'm having 50 mates round to get plastered.". If that's the magnitude of what details were omitted then it's easier to understand your mum's position.

As for your friends, well there isn't much you can do apart from apologise. If it were me who'd been turned away i'd feel more sorry for you than angry with you. It was your party that was ruined after all. What do they say?
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Friends