Canada

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Canada

Postby spacegirl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:24 pm

hi all,

I've decided to apply for a working visa to canada for next september, I've always had my heart set on living in Montreal and I've realsed there's no point in putting it of any longer! I'm not getting any younger after all ;) Has anyone ever been to canada/ know anyone who lives there? I don't know anyone who's ever lived there most of my friends go travelling to the usa/australia rather than canada, and I guess I was just wondering whether anyone has any idea about the cost of living/ job prospects etc there?
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Canada

Postby captainf » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:29 pm

I dont know much about what its like to live there but I want to say good luck. I'd love to live in Canada.
Recently I was thinking about how great it would be to be a Mountie :D
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LemonJuice87 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:28 am

I can't tell you anything about Montreal, as I dont think i've been there. I went to Toronto when i was around... 8-9ish... i think lol.

I went in the middle of winter and it dont ask me how, but it was warmer there than it was here. Even with 7-8 inches of snow on the ground! Its a beautiful place. I have family over there, although we're all going though a "Not talking to each other" faze since my Nans sister died.

Niagra Falls is awesome!!!! BUT!! When I was there half of it was frozen :o But it was still awesome!

Go for it chick, you will love it!

As for the Mountie's, they are pretty cool too! I loved them! Haha.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby spacegirl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:06 pm

thanks for your replies, I've done a lot of research online, had a look at a few expat forums and craigslist to see prices of rent etc and I am incredibly excited now :D surprisingly, cost of living n Montreal is very reasonable (cheaper than the city I live in now, which is a DUMP with no prospects and nothing to do), and the city just looks amazing i can totally see myself living there. Very excited \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>

Lol i forgot about the mounties. The day i walk out of my house and i see a mountie going down the street i will knowi've made it. I used to love that show about the mountie with the deaf dog - what was that called?
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby snail » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Due South.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spacegirl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Yes! I never would have got that.
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:45 am

Good luck :D
The Mounties are awesome. I think if I didnt want to be a pilot i'd want to move to canada and be a Mountie instead!

Speaking of Due South, I still watch that. The whole pilot episode is on youtube and I borrowed my friends boxset aswell recently. Brought back memories of when I used to watch it in the 90's.
My mums getting a kitten soon, which I want her to call Diefenbaker (after the due south dog) :D
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 am

I have family on Vancouver Island, in Calgary and around Shuswap Lake. I've been to Canada to visit them, but I was 4-5 at the time, so I can't remember much of it myself, the photographs are beautiful though!!

My relatives do love it there, though I think it's always been tainted by the fact they are so far away from the rest of the family in the UK. The only other downside that they have ever pointed out that I can recall is that, unlike the UK, where you can just jump in your car and visit another village/town/city, it's not as easy as that in places like Canada as there is such a vast amount of space between each place. Plus, some of the smallish towns/villages are really run down and insular (I can just imagine the tumble weed blowing past!), so aren't places you'd want to visit anyhow.

But if you're a city girl, then you will probably love it. I just thought I'd share with you what I know :)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm

My aunty and uncle live in Toronto. All of their family are here (digressing a bit, my aunty and uncle both from the N-E met in Canada and were suprised they lived on opposite sides of the river). They both love it there; although my uncle did say that now where they live is the second biggest chinese populations outside of China. I remember going years ago, and I'd love to go now again....however a slight bit of "kicking me out of a family re-union" didn't go down to well.

They had planned to retire to the UK but it's too expensive for them now. Sadly they'll not move back; they'll come back, but I think they'll come back in a box!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat