Statutory Maternity Pay

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Statutory Maternity Pay

Postby whoopsie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:42 pm

As a newlywed, my husband and I have had the conversation about adding to our family in the near future. My concerns are about whether I'd be eligible for SMP. I've been employed in my current job for 11 months on a fixed term contract which has been extended until January. It will then be reviewed again. Am I actually eligile for SMP on a fixed term contract? If I get pregnant before January and they don't extend my contract, then I don't think I'd be entitled to anything.

Can anyone shed any light?
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Statutory Maternity Pay

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:26 am

The employee must have been in continuous employment for 26 weeks. You will need to provide your employer with a MATB1 usually given to you at the 20 week scan as proof of pregnancy.
You will get 90% of your average weekly wage for 6 weeks then it will be either the weekly standard rate of approx £125 or your weekly wage, whichever is less.
SMP is paid upto 39 weeks but you will need to check your entitlement as you haven't worked very long. You can have upto 52 weeks off legally but you obviously won't be getting paid the whole time.

This information booklet should help more

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/e15.pdf
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: Statutory Maternity Pay

Postby whoopsie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:30 pm

I think I understand it as I need to have worked 26 weeks continuously with the same employer up to the 15th week before the baby due date. So, if I got a 6 month extension in January, and got preggers the same week, I'd be ok. That's probably unlikely to happen. It's annoying because I want to start trying now, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Thanks for that info BelBel. :D
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Finances