discrimination

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

discrimination

Postby spacegirl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm sure you're all bored to death of hearing about my job, but I'm sitting here fuming with steam coming out of my ears.

I was having lunch with a few girls today and they were talking about my job and who had applied for it internally. There is a guy who works in the office, he's quite camp but hasn't come out as being gay to his workmates so I don't know if he is or not (although I did bump into him into a gay bar) anyway that's not the matter. He had applied for my job as when my predecessor was off sick for a few months about a year ago he took over and was able to do the job well.

Well he had apparently applied for my job and interviewed for it well, but - and i quote - "he is just too gay, we couldn't let him talk to clients, what an embarrassment" and they laughed and proceeded to do horrible impressions of him. I really don't know how they expected me to react.

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

what the *bleep*?! Maybe I'm too naive but I cannot believe that type of discrimination still goes on in the workplace!!! BLATANT discrimination!!!!! They didn't hire this guy because he's gay! These people have no souls.

There's nothing I can really do with this, should I tell him? Or is it none of my business? Would it really do any good?
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: discrimination

Postby ILoveChristmas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:45 pm

If it were me i'd just try and forget about it, you'll only cause unecessary trouble and embarassment for him if you say something.

As much as I've developed a dislike for where you work and how they've treated you, I don't think in this case there's any real malice behind the comments. Reading between the lines I get the impression he's pretty well liked around the place. In my experience most camp people are, generally because they come across as quite jolly and good fun!

Just chalk it up as yet another reason why you'll be glad to see the back of the place.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:54 pm

While I agree with you that it's unbelievable behaviour, I'd just leave it I think. It'd probably just upset him to hear it, without anything gained from it.

As for the rest of your colleagues, you'll get a new job and be out of there before you know it!!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:45 pm

How awful
At the end of the day I don't think you will do yourself any favours bringing it up, the messenger always gets shot.

Agree with ILC get out of there asap
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Rine-chan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi spacegirl,

Well, I agree with you it's so horrible that discrimination still goes on in the workplace!!
Unfortunately there are always (and I suppose that there will always be) people who can't live with someone who is different. They think that they are better than them!

No doubt that you have already made yours, but for me, telling the truth to this guy is certainly not the best choice. Like ILoveChristmas and rufio89 said, you will only cause more problems, he will certainly be upset, and nothing will be solved.
Honesty is not always the best policy, and I don't think that it is in this case. It's surely not the first time that this guy has got some difficulties with some people and is discriminated because he's gay, but It is never pleasant to heard it again and again!

And for your colleagues, yes you can eventually find another job or change your working place but don’t forget that discrimination of any kind is everywhere! So the problem won’t really be solved!
As far as I'm concerned, I advise you to try doing with it but don’t hesitate to defend your point of views in a discreet manner, with implied reflection or otherwise, so as this does not affect you but puts some people in their place! I have already tested it and it definitely works pretty well!

That were just some personal advice, but you can think about it and I hope that this will help you, in this case or maybe in a future similar one!

Good luck!

PS : I'm very sorry to reply so late! Maybe your situation has already changed! If it's the case, is it in a good way?
Rine-chan
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Work & Colleagues