moving away - panic

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

moving away - panic

Postby spacegirl » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi there,

as a lot of you will know, i have been going through a tough time of it in the past six months what with leaving a job i loved and working in a new place that made me really unhappy and just generally feeling fed up with the state of my life. I recently secured a good job in the line of work i was in before that I'm quite excited about but it means moving away to edinburgh, and I'm really staring to panic about this - three weeks ago I had no intention of moving anywhere at all, then this job came up, i applied, got an interview, got the job, now tonight I am moving out of my apartment that I love, someone else is moving in tomorrow, I've found a temporary place in edinburgh, booked my flights, sold my furniture and tv etc and I'm moving to edinburgh in a month's time. The next month is filled with goodbye meet-ups with friends and there are quite a lot of people I won't see before I go. I've moved countries a few times before but each time I had planned to go, I always knew people in the places I was going and I knew the cities quite well already. This time everything has happened so fast and I don't know edinburgh at all apart from one day trip there and the few hours I was there for my interview.

I'm worried I've rushed into this too much without really thinking through what it entails. I moved back from Paris because I found it a very lonely place and I was happy to get back to my family and friends and was looking forward to settling back into my life here and actually spending a few years in the one place rather than moving around all the time and having to start afresh every year. I think that I was in such a haste to get out of my current job that I jumped at this one and now that I'm faced with a permanent move to a huge city where I don't know one single person, I don't have much money so I will be struggling to live there, and leaving all of my family and friends to get on with their lives here I feel anxious and panicky all the time.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through anything similar and could give me some reassurance as to how quickly you can settle in to a place? As I said I've moved abroad (I know edinburgh isn't abroad as such but I'm moving from n.ireland so it does mean getting flights and stuff and it's a completely new city to me so it's actually more daunting for me than the 3 times I moved to France) before so I'm not worried about the logistics, I'm just afraid of the solitude as I'm quite shy and find it hard to make friends at first (once i'm friends with someone it's for life but i do find it hard to get close to people at first).

I just resent that this move isn't really out of my choice, it's more out of necessity because of the lack of work here.

:( thanks
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: moving away - panic

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Well you can give it a go and if it isn't right you don't have to stay and can look for something back home.
Are there a lot of people at your new work place? Perhaps you can ask their advice on what's good to do. If they know you are alone i am sure they will try to help you fit in.
I think it's natural to be nervous but I get the feeling you will quickly find your feet.
Flights should be pretty cheap so make a plan to go home once a month for a weekend and meet up with friends and family.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: moving away - panic

Postby RagDoll » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:22 pm

I haven't experienced this before so unfortunately I can't offer any helpful advice about the move itself, but just wanted to say that Edinburgh is a fantastic city. I'm sure once you've got your head around it, you'll have a great time there. It's also a relatively compact city so you should be able to get around quite easily and because it's not TOO big it doesn't feel quite as intimidating as other cities (in my opinion!). Also, the people are more friendly than I was expecting (!) so that's a plus.

Really hope it goes well for you.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Work & Colleagues