Does career matter in relationships?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Does career matter in relationships?

Postby LME79 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:57 pm

It's not about intelligence with rufio's friend, though. It's about ambition mismatch. Totally different. I agree with snail in the sense that she was upfront and didn't use him to boost her ego. Arrogant would be taking the number and turning him down in a condescending way. I doubt the bus driver went home and cried into his tea, like.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby spacegirl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Hmm. While I would never have a problem with someone based on their job itself, I don't think I could go out with someone who had no ambition to better themselves or progress through a career. It depends on the person, maybe if they really enjoyed their job whatever it was and were happy in their life I wouldn't mind what they did or what they earned. but someone who settled in a job simply because it's a job and allowed them to get by would do my head in. I mean I don't think I would turn down the guy because who knows that he isn't studying for a Phd and using the driving to fund it.

I agree with LME here about the point about intelligence. Intelligence and ambition are two completely different things. If someone had the intelligence and scope to become the head of the bus company but settled with being a driver, I couldn't be with them. At the minute times are hard and a lot of people are settling with whatever job is out there, my aunt who is a manager in a retail store has masters graduates applying for part time sales assistant jobs! That's why I don't think it's right what rufio's friend did. I don't agree with dismissing someone straight off, but it is her prerogative to set her own standards at the end of the day.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Girl_babi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 pm

I dont think it matters. Me and my other half both have different jobs and work different hours. As other people have said at the minute any job you can get is better than no job at all.
Girl_babi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 pm

No, I did not ask for your opinion on my friend. I asked for an overall opinion on whether people think it generally matters what people's career is.

And it's so clearly not a black and white issue. It will always be something that will matter to some people and not to others. There's stuff like that for everyone, some people care about looks, some people care if their interests are the same, or their taste in music.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:57 pm

rufio89 wrote:No, I did not ask for your opinion on my friend. I asked for an overall opinion on whether people think it generally matters what people's career is.

And it's so clearly not a black and white issue. It will always be something that will matter to some people and not to others. There's stuff like that for everyone, some people care about looks, some people care if their interests are the same, or their taste in music.

Precisely, rufio, you wanted an opinion, I gave mine, it didnt go down well with you. The glorious thing about opinions is that they are neither right nor wrong :) So however much you dislike what I said, its what I think and that wont change. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:10 pm

You can sit there and be as smug as you like, but at the end of the day, I did NOT ask for an opinion of my friend and you have no right to slag her off.

You've stated that no, you dont think career should be an issue in relationships and it wont be in yours, which is a completelyt fair opinion. Not the same opinion to mine, but a valid one nonetheless, and I have no issue with that, but thats NOT what you were doing and there was absolutely no need for you to talk about her the way you did, and I think it's very rude.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Your topic spoke about your friend and turning down a bus driver - she had no idea why he was one, whether it was just a stop gap, or what. She turned him down because he was a bus driver. I said that was arrogancy and I thought it was relatively pathetic. Im not being smug. I just dont judge people on their job, thats all. Be as defensive of your friend as you want to be, I really couldnt care less. Its just an opinion aired in an open forum. Some people will sugar coat replies, some wont. The trouble with asking for such opinions on a forum is you will open yourself up to all kinds of replies, some you will like, some you wont.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby brfc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 am

my girlfriend doesnt really have a job but shes looking. doesnt have pots of money but she has a big heart which is what attracts me. its the person not the employment staus that attracts me too someone. that saying i like too be with someone who wants too work not like my ex who just dosses about doing nothing all day. as long as they want too work or do work im happy
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Previous

Return to Chit Chat