Neice finds great pleasure in wrecking her room at night!

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Neice finds great pleasure in wrecking her room at night!

Postby beesknees123 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm currently living with my parents while my divorce is going through. My brother lives at home too. We have his daughter every weekend which is great! She stays in my room at the weekend and I stay at my boyfriends. She has only been sleeping in a bed on her own for maybe 2 months. My brother puts her to bed with a movie or cartoon or something but the last few weekends she has been getting out of bed and wrecking the room as soon as she goes up there and is in and out of bed until nearly 12am! It's very tiring and we aren't quite sure what to do? Her mum recently had another baby so we don't know if thats maybe got something to do with it as she has become quite clingy wanting cuddles more and throwing tantrums for attention.

The problem is we go up to the room and put her back in bed and I think she sees it as a great game now. Take everything out of the drawers and daddy will come up!! yay!

Any advice guys?

p.s she's 2 and half
beesknees123
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Neice finds great pleasure in wrecking her room at night

Postby AwwhDip » Mon May 02, 2011 3:08 pm

If she's up at 12 am, and at her age it may have something to do with her sugar levels. So try not letting her have sugary food/drink after 5 pm. Also with the mother having another baby she is not getting as much attention as she did get and may feel pushed away, so when she come round for the weekend play a lot of energy filled games so by the time it's her bed time shes pretty much exhausted.
also if she continues to mess up the room and get out of bed, she needs to be disciplined so try not giving her the attention she wants when shes messing up the room and if she goes out her room just pick her up and put back in the bed with no eye contact or speech, you could also try speaking to the mother, to see if shes like that at home.

I hope this has helped :)
AwwhDip
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Liquidius » Mon May 02, 2011 8:33 pm

also if she continues to mess up the room and get out of bed, she needs to be disciplined so try not giving her the attention she wants when shes messing up the room and if she goes out her room just pick her up and put back in the bed with no eye contact or speech, you could also try speaking to the mother, to see if shes like that at home.

I completely agree with the above. Now, I don't actually have any children, so I'm not sure if this would actually work - but having watched countless episodes of SuperNanny, it seems to do the trick! I think you have to be prepared that she might not respond to it straight away, and may get quite upset.

I think talking to her Mother to see if she does it at home might be a good idea. It could be to do with the fact that she isn't at home, and finds the whole experience of being somewhere else quite exciting.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Ticktock » Mon May 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Terrible two's.. still bear he scars. As already advised just put her back to bed, no interaction, no tidying up, get her to do it in the morning, get boring quickly when she misses out on fun with daddy...

Also knock the putting her to bed with a film on the head, mixed signals for an independent two year, go to bed and I will put this exciting kids film on for you :roll: . The old standbys of bath, book and bed and proper interaction with daddy rather than an electronic babysitter!

I presume her new baby brother/sister also includes a new dad and she is probably feeling the bottom of the list for attention in that household. A way to mitigate attention seeking is to give the child more control of their environment... would it be possible to redecorate the bedroom where she stays with her suggestions? and arrange a monthly treat which she can help choose? She is probably spending all her time being told to be good around the new baby and may well be dealing with wrecked sleeping patterns herself from the baby so make your house an escape from this.
Ticktock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby beesknees123 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks guys,

All really good advice. We had her last night too and she was naughty all day. Practically living on the naughty step! She was out playing in the garden which I think tired her out. Daddy bathed her and read her "quiet book" with her then left her in the room. First time she got up and was taken straight back to get then only one more time after that and she was alseep! She slept right through aswell!! Yay! I think the dvd at night is a bad idea so that will have to be stopped.

We spoke to her mum and apparently she has been doin this in her own house aswell, but her mum puts on a dvd then leaves her in the room and doesn't go back in no matter what she does. Some mornings she goes in a shes asleep on the floor! I don't know how I feel about that, just closing the door and leaving her? I'm always paranoid something is goin to happen to her!
beesknees123
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Children