Cooking for a very fussy eater

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Cooking for a very fussy eater

Postby jen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi all

Right basically my husband is the fussiest eater i've ever met. He wont eat any vegetables apart from Potato and peppers.

He especially wont eat anything with onion. I've tried to get him to try different types of onion eg roast, fried, finely chopped etc. I've also tried disguising it in foods but he always notices. If he even smells an onion he is close to vomiting.

Because of this, he can't really eat many cooking sauces. I think he would like curry because he likes curry sauce from the chinese (providing there are no onions in it) but most cooking sauces both home cooked and also in a jar have some form of onion in them. I think he is ok with the ones that contain onion powder but one night i was trying to get him to try spag bol as i thought he might like it but he fished the jar out of the bin and refused to try it because it had 3% onion in it.

He loves chicken and can eat it in any form but i think chicken on it's own is a bit boring so would like to be able to cook something we can both eat. I've managed to get him eating fajitas (no onion, just peppers) as long as he can have heinz bbq sauce rather than salsa. I also recently cooked cajun chicken which again he ate but i couldn't put any onion in it.

I do accept him for who he is but i would love us to be able to eat dinner together. At the moment i'll cook mine and he will sort his own (his dinner is usually birdseye crispy chicken or fish fingers with waffles)

The main thing that annoys me about the fussy thing is that a lot of things he refuses to even try. For example he has never eaten an egg. He will have egg fried rice from the chinese but when i try to get him to try normal egg his response is "i refuse to eat anything that smells like that". Even with the spag bol. I hink he would like it but because of that tiny 3% onion, he point blank refused. If i ever try to get him to taste something he's never had he refuses because he doesn't want a funny taste in his mouth in case he can't eat his own dinner.

Anyway this has gone on a bit so i'll shut up now.

I guess i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with really fussy eaters or knew any recipes i could try that would be "my hubby friendly". I love cooking and prefer to cook for more than just me.

Thanks guys

Jen

EDIT: Sorry i forgot to mention he also wont touch anything with garlic or cheese as well.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Cooking for a very fussy eater

Postby Skarlet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Does he realise that BBQ sauce has garlic in it?! :) Sorry shouldn't try and stop him eating anything else.

It does seem a shame that he won't try anything and that limits you, I have fussy people in my family (no vegetables) so can understand the frustrations. Could you make eggfried rice at home and get him to eat that? Will he eat pancakes and batter or cakes? What other limitations? Does he mind spicy food?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Well the thing is, he isn't actually fussy with with sweet things like sweets, cakes, biscuits etc.

To be honest i think his mum has a lot to do with it because she is much the same so i think it's kind of been drummed into him.

I could make egg fried rice but he is really wary about eating things that he hasn't already tried and sometimes i think he is fibbing when he says "it's ok but i couldn't eat a lot of it or have it again". Well not so much fibbing as his brain telling him before he's even tried it that he wont like it so he's already in that mindset. Even when i was making the cajun chicken i used tomato puree and he said "oh i don't think i like that cos i don't like tomato". I just said look it's only a table spoon and it needs to go into it and in the end he loved it! It's just so hard getting him to eat things with a sauce that isn't ketchup/bbq in a bottle.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Hmm it is hard then. I don't really get the thing of not trying stuff. There are a few things that I don't like, but I have always tried them. Not sure thought that I would eat tripe.

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid= ... t_id=53337
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks for that Skarlet.

I showed him it tonight when we came home from work so going to try and find the red pepper pasta sauce. Might need to try some recipes out at home as well so if anyone has any sauce recipes for pasta, curry etc, feel free to post away - i'd really appreciate it.

Not sure i'd eat tripe either tbh.

jen
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:01 am

http://digitallydelicious.wordpress.com ... olerances/

This sauce looks okay, and should be easily customisable for you to make spag bol with. There must be ways to make nice things you can both eat. I love onions and garlic and most of the things i eat contains them. Does he like pestos?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:36 am

Hiya

Sorry for the late reply, I'm normally only on here during the week when i'm at work.

Thanks, i'll try that sauce out. I'm the same as you, i love onions and i love garlic. I used to put them in near enough everything i cooked but not any more - well not if he's having it as well.

He does occassionally try new things but it takes a lot of persuading on my part.
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am

Sounds like a nightmare jen, haha, this would drive me up the wall!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby jen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 am

It does sometimes but he was like that when i met him so i can't really moan about it too much now.

I always remember the first time i realised how bad it was when we went on our second date and i ordered mac and cheese with a side order of garlic bread. His face was a picture! lol
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misfits » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Jen
have you tried mashing the onions and garlic to a pulp so that they lose their physicall shape completely and he cant actually see them in the sauce but yet the flavour still gets added? Would he still be able to taste it?
this has made me laugh because i know a lady at work who swears blind she hates onions and refuses to eat them but yet adores coleslaw? !!
also, at work, i had some vegans who made a fuss over their meal choices but then went onto to have profiteroles for their dessert :o
misfits
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby jen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Hiya

Thanks for the reply misfits.

Trust me he would notice. He wont buy a roll from a certain place because they chop onions on the same counter they butter the roll. He can actually taste if an onion has been near his food.

Honestly there is no "sneaking" them in with him as he always knows lol

Thanks though
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:52 pm

What issues does he have with cheese? is it hard cheese or soft cheese that he doesn't like?

Does he mind things like spring onions? or leeks? could you use those as substitutes?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Hello again

He wont really eat any cheese apart from laughing cow or dairylee.

Spring onions and leeks are a big no no. The only veg he will eat is potato.

I did make spaghetti last night with fray bentos meatballs to see if he would eat it but after he'd had a wee drop he said "i don't think spaghetti is for me". Think the main problem there was that he had never had spaghetti before so it was a struggle to get it on the fork. Plus the meatballs (according to him) "tasted funny".

I think all i can really do is just have a good look around online for new recipes and hope that i come up with some things he will like.

I'm having tea at my mum's tonight and he bought himself some dry chicken tikka (the stuff you get to put on sanswiches - no sauce in them) and some microwave rice and he's basically going to stirfry it with HP bbq sauce. I told him a tikka sauce or curry sauce might be nicer but he wont have them because there is onion in it.

Oh well!
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Damn, that is an awfully limited diet. If you ever have kids make sure they take after you!

I really am surprised that he will eat bbq sauce, they generally have garlic powder in and also the chicken tikka bits will have garlic in.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:29 pm

To be honest with you i think with things like bbq sauce etc because he just thinks "bbq sauce" he doesn't notice it so much.

Don't worry, if i do have kids he's already been told they will be eating a healthy/varied diet.

Don't get me wrong he will eat things like steak pie, chicken pie, stew, mince and tatties etc but i've just got to make sure they have no onion in them.

Will just have to keep trying. I don't really mind if he tried something but it really annoys me when he doesn't even try.

I think because he was brought up being allowed to just have these bland plain foods, his tastebuds aren't used to anything else so anything with a rich or creamy sauce is just too much hence the "not very nice aftertaste" he talks about.

Thanks again
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Chit Chat