Wont be around for a while

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Wont be around for a while

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey

I did ask another member to post this but as I am online at the moment I thought i'd do it myself.

Basically I havent been on much lately and I will be on less for a while. I havent been too well, as some of you know since around February my eczema was playing up. Last week it was real bad and my feet swelled up so I saw a different doctor today as mine is on holiday. The doc said he had seen my case of skin condition only once before and added that its not eczema at the moment. Its exfoliative dermatitis.
Exfoliative dermatitis can be caused by various things that range from an infection to more serious illnesses such as leukemia or a blood cancer. At the moment we dont know whats causing it but i've been given a course of steroids to take and a new cream to tie me over until I see the dermatologist on july 18th.
The most common way to treat exfoliative dermatitis is to hospitalise the patient and isolate them. This is quite likely to happen to me and incase it does I just wanted everyone to know where i've disappeared to.

Its been a hard time lately and I have lacked alot of sleep. I am exhausted and so is my family. I have spent most nights snuggled up on the sofa with a quilt as i've been feeling so cold. Another thing exfoliative dermatitis can do is induce hyperthermia.

My family have been great and very supportive. My mum and nan have been suffering with me as they can see how unhappy I have become.

So I just wanted to say that if im not around as much then this is the reason why. I'll update those of you whose numbers i've got on how I am getting on.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and see you all soon.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Wont be around for a while

Postby Skarlet » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Hey Captain,

Really sorry to hear this, hope that the early treatment is effective and that you do not require the longer stay in hospital.

Skarlet
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:44 pm

:(

It would be great if this thread could be updated as soon as there's any news.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks for the kind words and support!

I spent the weekend on the sofa under a quilt and kept warm. The prescribed steroids and strong cream seemed to kick in and today my skin appears to be alot better. Very nice and smooth and i've got to see my doctor again on Wednesday.
So currently things are looking up with the improvement with my skin, however, I know my medication at the moment is quite strong and so I am hoping once taken off of it I will not go backwards.

I see the dermatologist next week and I guess I will see what happens then and I suppose alot will ride on whether the exfoliative dermatitis takes a hold once I stop with the steroids. So at the moment everything is still uncertain, but for now i'm keeping warm, and resting alot.
I am expecting alot of blood tests once I see the dermatologists to rule out the bigger possible causes.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Please keep us updated, Captain.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Just thought i'd post a quick update - saw my doctor today and he was pleased with the improvement of my skin. The steroids run out on friday and it will be interesting to see how my skin reacts once thats the case.
My doctor prescribed me more of the moisturiser he gave me last week and said that I need to just use that until I see the dermatologist next week.

So I just need to see what the dermatologist will decide to do regarding to any tests and treatments.

Today I havent felt as cold either. Infact, I have felt abit hot at times, however there are times when I still feel abit of a chill. Hopefully i'm on the mend now but I am still interested to know what caused it to begin with and still need to remain careful as I dont want to go backwards.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm

I dont know if anyone still reads this but I just thought i'd let you all know my appointment is tomorrow.
My skin is playing up abit again since I came off of the steroids on thursday and therefore im not sure what will be decided at the hospital tomorrow.
I just want it all to end really and I just want abit of a rest.
Wish me luck.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:54 pm

They never like to leave people on steroids too long. Perhaps the tests will show this is some kind of allergy? Good luck anyway; hospitals are never nice. Go and have some ice cream after your appointment (it always works for me :D ).

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Do you know why they dont like people being on them too long? Like, is a low dose over a long period not good either?
I only ask because I was talking to my boss at my voluntary job a few days ago (filling him in on whats happening and why I hadnt been in) and he told me that each year the doctors give him steroids for hayfever without any problems.

haha Thanks :) I may just do that.. but peecee might stalk me now.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:45 pm

I don't really know that much about it, but the problem is the side-effects, which increase with time. Steroids suppress inflammation, which is why they're used in allergic reactions, but they also interfere with other things (I know skin thinning is one side effect, and I've seen people with weight gain, but there are also much more serious side-effects). So they're usually a short-term emergency measure. I'd be surprised if someone was given steroids for hayfever but I suppose they might be if it's very bad. Your boss might also be confusing steroids and antihistamines.

I've just had some ice cream for you, so that's one thing you won't have to worry about 8)

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks for explaining that out. I understand now why they are a short term thing. I guess that worries me in a way as they are the only thing that worked for me recently.
I am quite exhausted really and just want my previous life back when my skin wasnt playing up all the time and when I could go out and enjoy life. I feel as if im not really myself at the moment. As if I have just lost part of who I am.
I want it all to be over soon because I just want to get back to normal. Sorry if I sound like im whinging.

Aww I hope you enjoyed it..and I hope it was chocolate ;) :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby peecee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 am

I've just got back from Wales, and strangely, this is the first thread I saw... :P

Steroids - let me give you the negatives first! Captainf, I don't think you're on loooooong-term steroids, but let me know if I'm wrong. :) Long-term use, even on a low dose, suppresses your immune system, making it easier for you to succumb to infections.

It can work miracles on your skin, but it DOES thin your skin, so you bruise more easily. It can interfere with your liver, and affect the density of your bones - the drug itself doesn't make you put on weight, but it increases your appetite, so you put on weight.

It gives you a boost when you're on it, but you feel awful if you come off it suddenly - it needs to be tapered off.

There is a list of side effects on the info slip inside the packet, I've just mentioned the ones I've seen in a friend who is on long-term, low-doseage steroids.

Catch up later, when I've had some sleep, hun. :D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pee

ps - Strawberry, with mashed up chocolate flakes swirled through it. =P~ Worth coming home just for that!
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks guys. Just to let you know im leaving for the hospital now. Saw the dermatologist and hes addmitted me but I have to go to Amersham hospital instead.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:41 am

Oh no, I really hope that the stay is a short one, and that they can get it sorted for you.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:44 am

Its abit of a trek from home too. I am so nervous at the mo and abit teary eyed as ive not been addmitted to hospital since I was 2.
The nurse phoned me though and she seemed really nice and friendly. So hopefully I will be alright there.
Im just getting some bits together and then i'll be leaving.
Thanks so much for your support of late.

Also just to add, I dont know how long it will be for.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Chit Chat