Potential problem with property rental

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Potential problem with property rental

Postby jenny39579 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi everyone,

hope you can help me. My boyfriend has just been made permanent in his new job. He lives a fair distance from his workplace and doesn't drive, so he is looking to rent a flat within the town he works in. There is a problem that we are both worried about though and that is the credit check the letting agent will perform on him.

He was unemployed for nearly a year and in that time went overdrawn with his bank on 2 or 3 occasions. Would this affect his chance of getting a flat?

Please note that he has been in his current flat for over 3 years, never missing a payment, he is in a stable job, he has no CCJ's or never been bankrupt, but recently got declined a credit card application.

What do you think guys?

Thank you :D
jenny39579
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Potential problem with property rental

Postby Skarlet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 pm

When you say he went overdrawn, was it into an agreed overdraft or not?

To be honest I don't know whether it will or not, you could always request his credit report from experian and that will give you an idea of his overall credit rating. When I went through letting agents, they also asked my work whether I had a full time job so that may make a difference. The other way would be to find a private landlord, as they don't tend to do as many checks as letting agents.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jenny39579 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks for your reply.

He went over his overdraft limit and ended up getting a £20 charge from his bank. But if the Letting Agent's looked into his employment status, there would definitely be no problem there, plus a reference from his current Letting Agent of 3 years (He has never missed a payment with them!)

I have heard that Private Landlords are not so fussy so we are going to try and find one of them if the potential new flat shoud be out of reach due to a failed credit check.

Thanks for your advice.

:D
jenny39579
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Skarlet » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:41 pm

I wouldn't worry too much if I am honest. My ex had loads of debts and issues with his credit rating and we never had a problem.

Good luck searching for your new home.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Ticktock » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 pm

In all honesty he probably failed the credit card check because he had a lack of a credit history, some lenders have got their fingers badly burned so are incredibly picky.

He doesn't have a CCJ and will get a good reference from his previous landlord so he should be fine, try and avoid private landlords if you can, lots of cowboys in that sector at the moment.
Ticktock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby jenny39579 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:35 pm

thank you all very much for your advice, it is much appreciated.

He is going to view a flat on saturday so we will found out more then.

:D
jenny39579
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Finances