Career Advice & Guidance

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Career Advice & Guidance

Postby rufio89 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help me.

I do clerical work at the moment. I've done fairly well and have managed to double my salary since I started working 4 years ago, and money was what was driving me. When I left college my family really pressured me towards going to university but I didnt want to go. I still stand by this decision, for the time, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated working at the level I'm working at. People have suggested trying to get a management job and working my way up the ladder quicker, but honestly, I dont think I'll be happy doing that either.

I'm clever, I know I am, and I'm sick of working for people who think I'm weird because I dont watch X Factor, and I read books, and I know about history and science. The sorts of people who care about the same things as me are few and far between in office jobs.

So, I've decided it's time for me to retrain and get a "proper" job. I dont just want a job where I'm making money to survive - I want a career, something where I will be working towards something I care about, and something where I'm constantly growing and developing. I dont want to train towards something that once I know how to do it, my learning is done, I want to be in a constantly evolving environment.

As none of you know me properly, I dont really expect any specific career suggestions, but I was wondering if someone had ever had really helpful career advice or guidance or knew where I could find it. I've been doing online career tests, but they're too vague, I want something that's more specific.

Any advice people could give me would be great.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Career Advice & Guidance

Postby snail » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 pm

Job centres will provide career advice:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... /index.htm

I think it can be helpful to divide things in your mind to get a clearer idea; what would you want do with your time if money didn't come into it (say, you already had lots of money from something like an inheritance)? What would you do if money was the only thing you cared about? What's your main interest? What things do you think need changing in the world? Do you always want to live where you are? Do you want to travel for your work, or not? And so on.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nail Queen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Counsellors can offer guidance in what career path to follow, if you enjoy learning and are interested in science why not look at going into some sort of research role, not only would you be learning things that are new and ever changing you will also be helping provide teaching materials for others.

Good luck
In the words of Don Mclean......
They were not listening, They're not listening still, Perhaps they never will!
Nail Queen
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby flosspot101 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:11 pm

There are a number of thing I could suggest.
1) Have you thought about starting your own company? Its high risk but you can immerse yourself in a world you find interesting.
2) Alternatively find work with a small business - perhaps a start up or something a little more mature. This way you can find work in niche markets. The office politics of larger cooperations doesn't exist and you feel more like an intergal part of the team. Try searching through social media to find companies that you like and start talking to them. You never know if you dont ask. Or try job search engine like http://www.adzuna.co.uk/jobs
This job site also has Adzuna Connect which enables your friends to help find you work.
flosspot101
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm

I saw an advert somewhere the other day for training as a forensic scientist and thought of you Rufio, may be worth checking out as you are paid whilst training, albeit on a lower than final salary.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues