Compensation culture

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Compensation culture

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:39 am

I was talking to someone this morning who has recently returned from an eventful trip abroad.

Whilst on holiday she, her husband and her daughter were involved in a car accident. It was her husband's faule and nothing too serious; the car ended up in a ditch but everyone was ok. A day or so later she developed a mild stiff neck but it wasn't enough for her to be absent from work and made no impact on her day-to-day life.

Here's the bit that's got to me:

She's now considering claiming against her own insurance policy for 'injuries' sustained in the accident!

I stood back in amazement at what I was hearing. It's compensation culture gone completely mad. No wonder my insurance premium increased this year when people like her are trying to make money from their own policy!
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Compensation culture

Postby snail » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:16 am

I think the 'compensation' culture people talk about is more about it's always being someone else's fault. What you've described sounds more like plain greed - I can understand that she feels she pays the policy and so should get something back if she can, but if it made no impact on her everyday life then surely she'd have to lie to be entitled to anything? There should be no financial payout for a slightly stiff neck, it's not 'worth' anything.

Funnily enough though, my own experience of road accidents and compensation showed me that the compensation offered for an injury was at other times inadequate - when I was in my 20s I was riding my bicycle when a lorry driver performed a dangerous manoeuvre to try and save a few moments and hit me, causing, among other things, permanent damage to my back which still causes me problems and aches a little everyday (the only reason he didn't actually kill me was that I was wearing a helmet). He had to pay me £3000, which I thought was ridiculously little for a lifelong injury.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 am

I have no issue with people being compensated when they've genuinely been injured or suffered loss as a result of an accident. In your case Snail I agree completely; £3000 does not make up for a life of pain and hassle.

In her case though she's thought "accident" and immediately followed it up with "money making opportunity". Apparently (and I have no method of verifying it) because her husband was driving and not her she can still quite legally claim against her own policy.

Ten years ago most people wouldn't have given the idea of claiming against someone a second thought - it just didn't happen very much. Today people's first reaction is to claim injury and pain (which is, to these people, conveniently difficult to prove/disprove) to get a few quid.

In her case i'd have disapproved if she'd said she was claiming against another driver, afterall she wasn't actually injured and could have given herself worse in day to day life, but the fact that she is claiming against herself just defies belief for me.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dragon_rider » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:41 pm

It doesn't help that we are bombarded with calls and adverts etc all the time about this. I had an accident about 2 years ago, it wasn't my fault, someone pulled out of a side turning without looking and went straight into the passenger wing of my car. They were very good about it, sorted it all through their insurance (and I still have my no claims!) and the wing was replaced.

Two years later however, I am still receiving text messages saying that I am still eligible to claim up £3,725 in compensation for the accident. I was not injured in anyway, the car was fixed within 2 weeks, and everything was fine. I keep texting STOP to the messages as I am instructed, but they send them every few weeks anyway.

I can imagine that if you're that way inclined, a message saying you could get this much money is quite tempting.

I don't really understand it though. I fell down the stairs at my old place of work and badly sprained my ankle. I was off work for about 6 days before I could comfortably walk on it again, and it wasn't right for the best part of a month. It never even crossed my mind that I should claim any compensation. I just enjoyed having a few days off work! Maybe I'm just naive, but unless I was serverly injured (like Snail for example) by something that was completely out of my control then compensation isn't an option for me.

That's my ten pence worth anyway.
dragon_rider
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:33 pm

It really is ashame that everyone wants to sue everyone nowadays. Those ads on TV dont really help and just egg people on to do it.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat