Disgusting Flatmates!

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Disgusting Flatmates!

Postby punkrockpenguin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi!
I'm just looking for a bit of advice about a problem I have with my flatmates. To give you a bit of an idea; I'm a student living in private halls.

The first issue I have with them is that they are disgustingly messy. I did clean up after them but I've given up and I just clean up after myself, now. They leave their dishes with leftover food in them for days and occasionally weeks. They leave food, food packets, bottle tops and other things on the floor, I've cut my foot open twice from things they've left lying around. Theres a pile of bin bags by the door because they're too lazy to do their bit to take them out. The table and the worktops (when you can get to the worktops) are so grubby. I dont like cooking in there. They now have a tea towel on the floor for dirty dishes that they cant fit on the worktop. If I mention the state of the place, they think its funny. Its disgusting.

I could complain to the maintenance guys but I really don't want to fall out with them because we got on so well before things started to get on the messy side and I really dont want to have to move.

One night (admittedly, it was the one occasion), they had a friend over from the other campus and had a party while I was ill and trying to sleep. I didn't get to sleep until 7 in the morning. They blocked other of my flatmate's doorway with furniture which also blocked off the whole corridor which was really stupid and dangerous of them. Fair dues to them, they did apologise, the next day and it hasn't happened again.

The other issue is that the next morning, I went to make myself some breakfast, I opened our fridge and most of my bread was gone and 3 or 4 cans of coke. My flatmates say they have no idea where it went. My other bit of evidence that someone else had had the cans is that in the recycling bag, I found some of my cans that were not crushed. I ALWAYS crush my cans before I put them in.

Maybe I'm being a bit overdramatic but I really dont think its very fair that I have to put up with it. We all get on so well and they're lovely people, I would really hate to fall out with them but its just getting ridiculous, now. I stay in my room just because I dont want to sit in the kitchen where its all grimy to watch tv.

Any advice at how I could at least get them to clean up their act would be amazing. Thankyou!
punkrockpenguin
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Disgusting Flatmates!

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Sorry but I think you are fighting a losing battle as ther are a few of them and one of you. They will probably end up winding you up more and it will become a bigger issue.

I would deal with it a different way. Get someone to buy you a small portable fridge for xmas and keep it in your bedroom, locked. ALso you could get a camping stove to cook on, £20 on amazon. Then you can either cook in your room or once you have cooked take the stove back to your nice clean room. If the guys say anything tell them you don't want to be like their mums nagging them so you are dealing with it your own way to avoid issues.

Alternatively is there an option to move to a different room with people who like to be clean like you. You don't have to fall out just say you prefer to living in a clean and tiday environment.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: Disgusting Flatmates!

Postby punkrockpenguin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi, thank you for the advice. I really like the mini fridge Idea. I think I might talk to the people at reception. See if they'd warn them. I'm gonna leave it a few days, carry on taking pictures, gather the evidence before I can do anything. Its starting to stress me out that I have to come home to it. I think they're having another party this weekend. I'm going to buy some ear plugs in advance!
Thanks again!
punkrockpenguin
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to And the rest...