SLUGS IN MY KITCHEN :'(

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

SLUGS IN MY KITCHEN :'(

Postby ohdear » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 pm

That's pretty much it!

I've been finding their trails since I moved in (about a month and a half) behind the kitchen door. Today, while I was cleaning, this cheeky little b*****d just slimes right across my worktop! :sick: Oooooooh it's made me feel sick to think about it lmao. They seem to be living behind my cupboards, and behind my oven. Both of these are on an inside wall!

Any ideas what I can do? It's making me ill thinking about it!

Thank you!
ohdear
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: SLUGS IN MY KITCHEN :'(

Postby snail » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:30 pm

This is common if your house is a bit damp - I've had it in two places I've lived. Keep everything as clean and dry as you can and see if you can work out where they come in (like door frames). Then tackle them outside with the usual methods (to keep overall numbers in the vicinity down), and put copper tape around where they're coming in, or salt or sharp sand. If you don't have pets, you could also put down slug pellets. (There are pet-safe slug pellets, based on iron, but I don't think I'd be happy using them around pets just in case).

If you Google the problem, you'll probably find other ideas as well.

Oh, and wear shoes if you're walking through the kitchen in the night :o
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:58 pm

If you are renting get onto the landlord
Agree salt is excellent for killing slugs
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dragon_rider » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Another little trick with slugs is to put down a bowl with a little bit of milk or stale beer in the bottom. The slugs climb into the bowl but the milk/beer bloats them out and they can't get out again. If you do this over night, when you get up in the morning, the slugs will be in a little heap at the bottom of the bowl and you just chuck them away - or kill them, whichever you prefer!

But salt and pellets are the best way, and as someone else said, make sure you wear shoes downstairs!
dragon_rider
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby ohdear » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Thank you everyone! I'll be having a go of these methods, and I'll let you know how I get on!
x
ohdear
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to And the rest...