WHAT HAVE YOU EATEN TODAY?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

WHAT HAVE YOU EATEN TODAY?

Postby poppypink » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi all,
I know that this will seem like a really strange thing to ask, but I am going through a bit of a tough time at the moment with weight/food issues and anxieties and I need to get better.

I have posted in the problems section and people have been very kind to give me support and advice. However, I went to the doctors about it today and his basic response was, I need to eat 'normally' and change my attitude towards food, but I have forgotten what 'normal' is? I know what I eat and what my husband eats (as I'm the one that cooks!) but I was after some support as to what all you normal people out there eat on a daily basis!

I support I am trying to get some support about what is normal and what is not and also to get some new ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner as I have tended to stick to the same things for the last 10-12 months (low fat, low calorie, low salt, low sugar, low carb and very very small portions!) and need a bit of inspiration as to what new foods I can add into my diet.

For instance, I had a conversation with someone at work who told me that she was having an Indian take away on a Wednesday night. I was shocked! If I was to have a curry, I would make it myself from scratch and wouldn't eat anything like that during the week so would only eat it at the weekend with a tiny naan (which I would only eat half of!) and 1 poppadom. She found this bizarre!

I can't remember the last time I had a frozen pizza and even feel guilty and have only eaten one that I made myself (with reduced fat cheese and veggies) once in the past 10 months.

As you can tell, I have real issues, which I am desperately trying to address. So, please could you post your daily food intake so that I can, in a way, reteach myself of how to eat like normal people?

Thank you so much for your much appreciated support.
poppypink
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: WHAT HAVE YOU EATEN TODAY?

Postby poppypink » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:58 pm

I will start!
Breakfast: 50g bowl of porridge, blueberries, raspberries, 50g 0% fat free greek yoghurt and 10g dried fruit.

Lunch: 1 table cracker, 1 melba toast, 1 fine milled oatcake each with a cherry tomato and extra light phillidelphia.

Mid-afternoon snack: 1 peach and a garibaldi biscuit

Dinner: Small grilled salmon fillet, brocolli, green beans with 100g new potatoes.

Drinks: Green tea, water and 1 cup of decaf tea with skimmed milk.

To me, this all seems a lot! But I will have only had 57% of my calories today. I am supposed to have 1718 and all this only comes to 981 leaving me with 737 calories let to eat. I honestly think that what I have eaten today is normal?
poppypink
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Skarlet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:50 pm

I have had today,

A bowl of apricot wheats with semi skimmed milk. Not sure how much as i didn't measure it.

Leek and potato soup and a cheese and red onion sandwich on granary with mayonnaise.

A bag of minstrels.

Pasta bake, made with lloyd grossmans pasta bake sauce. with mushrooms and peppers.

Coffee with milk, and squash.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:45 pm

In my opinion normal means everything in moderation including sugar,salt and fat.

I tend to buy snack size treats and have at least one a day or I feel deprived. But in your situation it will be a less guilty way to eat a treat as it is small.

I can't eat when I first get up so breakfast for me is not normal but if you eat it make it reasonably healthy, a bowl of a good ceral (i.e not one loaded with suger - the kid that appeals to the kids) so weetabix, shreddies, cornflakes etc. Or 2 slices toast and jam, marmite, peanut butter or marmalade. Pick healthier bread such as brown or granary. Scrambled egg on toast or grilled tomatoes on toast is nice (spice the toast up with a bit of marmite, goes lovely with the tomatoes).
Don't eat toast if you are going to have a sandwich for lunch. As I said moderation and two lots of bread in a day isn't moderation.

Lunch. Chicken, tuna or a ham salad. Bit of protein to keep you going but loaded with plenty of fresh salad or veg to help towards your 5 a day.
Alternatively make sandwichs and put whatever you like in them. Cheese and tomatoe, ham and pickle, egg mayo etc. A small pasta with a sauce. Beans on toast. Jacket potatoe with your choice of topping (cheese and sweetcorn is yummy)

Dinner. Again a protein and some veg with a small amount of carbs. I.E sausage,mash and greens, chicken,sweet potatoe wedges and veg, fish,new potatoes and veg, lasagne and salad. Fajitas. Beef Stew. Chicken Casserole.

Snacks can be any citrus fruit, raisins, a few nuts, bananas, yoghurts

You could get some receipe ideas on line.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/diets/healthy
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/healthy
http://www.greatlittleideas.com/theme/1 ... tAodLk_clQ

Or buy a few recipe books
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Vix1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:29 am

Well today is as follows:

Brekkie: Bowl of Frosties with semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea
Snack: 1 apple
Lunch: pitta bread filled with tuna salad and dressing, low fat strawberry yoghurt
Snack: 1 pear and 1 plum
Dinner: Jacket potato with cheese and beans (as I dont have much time on Mondays to cook anything)
4 pints of water
Vix1
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby poppypink » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:15 am

Vix1 wrote:Well today is as follows:

Brekkie: Bowl of Frosties with semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea
Snack: 1 apple
Lunch: pitta bread filled with tuna salad and dressing, low fat strawberry yoghurt
Snack: 1 pear and 1 plum
Dinner: Jacket potato with cheese and beans (as I dont have much time on Mondays to cook anything)
4 pints of water

Thanks for the Vix1. Can I ask you a question? Are you dieting or anything? That doesn't seem an awful lot to me? Can I ask what you weigh?

Sorry to be so nosey! I'm still trying to get my head round it all!

Today I have/will be having:

Breakfast: Bowl of porridge made with water, with raspberries, mixed dried fruit and a dollop of fat free greek yoghurt.

Lunch (larger than normal as I am going to the gym): Half a grapefruit, tuna salad (whole tin of tuna 130g) with an egg, a couple of new potatoes and a little lighter than light mayonaise.

Dinner (smaller than normal as wont be back from the gym till late): Cottage cheese with grilled cherry tomatoes and 2 Ryvitas.

Snack: Maybe an apple before the gym.

Drinks: 3 cups of green tea with lemon, 1 decaf tea with skimmed milk and lots of water.That's only 50% of my 1700 calories? But it doesn't seem much different to what you had?

Thanks very much again!
poppypink
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am

You don't seem to be eating much fat, Poppy? It's difficult to rack up calories with hardly any fat. Remember that it's only non-fish animal fats that are unhealthy - the rest are healthy and essential. Try snacking on nuts and adding them to your porridge - they're bursting with protein, healthy fats and fibre, and so good for you. Or try having mackerel instead of tuna, etc. And try increasing your overall portion size.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vix1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:01 pm

I try to be good during the week as it all goes to pot at the weekends lol, my Husband has to have Mc Donalds on a Friday night then Sat night we may get another takeaway and I always cook a nice dinner on a Sunday like roast chicken and potatoes or something. Mind you, my menu looked good yesterday, but i ended up adding to it, a piece of banana cake that my boss made me eat, and a few quality street choccies and a glass of wine at my tap class last night oops!
I did weigh about 60kg a few weeks ago as I recently got married, but we live in Cyprus and we had loads of family come over to see us for more than 2 weeks before and after the ceremony. We were eating our twice a day some days, so I have a feeling i have put on a kilo or 2 now, but I am not stressing out about it, my clothes still fit and I go by them rather than what the scales say. As long as I feel comfortable in my clothes then i dont care what the number reads xx

As Snail says, there doesnt seem to be hardly any fat in your diet or much protein, its important to balance it out, the protein is especially important if you are going to the gym, it will give you more energy.
Vix1
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby poppypink » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks so much Vix1. That was really helpful! You have such a positive attitude towards your weight. I am terrified of putting any weight on and I would like to get to a point where I can think just like you do. I used to have the same attiude as you! I hardly ever weighed myself (or even knew what I weighed!) and went off the size of my clothes rather than what the scales said. But, like you said, I recently got married too and what started as a 'trimming down' slightly and getting toned to look good in my dress, turned into an obsession!

I used to be 8 stone 9 and am now 7 stone (sometimes under) and even though I don't want to worry about what I eat, I am terrified of putting weight on. The doctor has told me I need to, I have stopped having periods! It's mental that I can't bring myself round to the fact that I will need to put on around 6 pounds!

I go to the gym often and so have booked myself in today to see the personal trainer. He is going to put me on a fitness plan that involves burning less calories but using the equipment to tone so that I can put weight on without feeling flabby around the stomach area. I am only bothered about getting my flabby belly back! WHen I put weight on, it seems to go straight to my stomach so hopefully, by using the abs equipment, I can try and tone that area as I put on the weight.

Thanks again! I hope you had a good wedding! xx
poppypink
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dragon_rider » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:12 pm

I am starting to feel bad, I have never counted calories in my life, I eat what I like when I'm hungry - within reason.

This morning I had porridge (30g) made with semi skimmed milk, with a handful of raisins chucked in.

For lunch I had 3 Ryvita, (usually I have light cream cheese on them, but I've run out), a chicken and veg cuppa soup, two pineapple rings, a handful of raisins and a Muller Light cherry yogurt.

For tea I will have wholewheat pasta with peppers, mushrooms, onions, sliced ham, all fried up with that 1 calorie spray stuff and then I add creme fraiche, mix it all up and tuck in!

I don't tend to snack if I can help it, because once I start, I can't stop! But I might have a few sweets out of the sweety tin when my husband's back is turned! And I will probably have a can or two of cider tonight, which is left over from the weekend when we had friends round.

None of that sounds too bad, and that is a normal day for me... honest! O:)

However, yesterday, I had the day off, and so did my diet! I had 4 (yes, 4!!) croissants for breakfast (we've just moved house, and our TV doesn't work yet, so we went to my mum's for breakfast and treated her, as she is off work having just had an operation... That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!), then I had two fried eggs (1 cal spray stuff, but still... :-? ) and two sausages, and then for tea we had a chicken korma, with Sharwood's sauce out of a jar. We had a puddingy ice cream bar thing for afters.

I am currently about 14 stone, but I can carry it ok. I lost some weight for my wedding last year, but my husband really can't stand all the calorie counting and worrying about what I can have, he says that he would far prefer that I was a sensible size with a sensible appetite (which I sort of am...) and we can enjoy food together. We have take aways from time to time, and I love the odd McDonalds. I do exercise, and we walk whenever we can avoid taking the car places, but I'm afraid I like my food!
dragon_rider
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:37 pm

might be worht reading Paul McKennas "i can make you thin"
Don't be put off by the title. He really does make you think about eating physcology.
I used to count calories like mad to control my weight but he has made me much more relaxed about eating what I wnat when I wnat and because I don't feel deprived my weight is extremely stable and has been for some time now.
I too am a 14, hour glass but I happy and healthy looking. I do have a large bottom and boobs and on the BMI I am overweight but even my doctor says it's obvious I am a good healthy weight. It's easy to get depressed by all these stupid ways of checking if you are the right weight.
You have to get to a point where you are comfortable, healthy and accepting of yourself.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to And the rest...