What a way to make a living....

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What a way to make a living....

Postby highlandcow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm

I work in an office. I always have done ever since I was 17. I have always enjoyed it despite the obvious pitfalls of office working (strip lighting pallor, carpel tunnel syndrome from squeezing the stressball, etc) even after I've been made redundant (twice!) I've always looked for more office work as it's all I've been able to do. In the back of my head I've always wanted to make a complete change, as I have a creative side that's just dying to get out! I'm not even sure what I want to do, I just know I don't want to be cooped up in an office anymore. I love things like interior design, baking....I'm like a 50's housewife when I get home from the office. :P

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, as I've been off work after having hip surgery, so it's not like I would jump the office ship anytime soon but to be honest the thought of that makes me sad. I'll be 26 in a couple of months....is it too late to make a drastic change? Is it too risky?

I'd love to do something different, as I feel like I'm wasting away under all that strip lighting, but....I just don't have the stones to make a change.
I'm lucky enough that my Dad has said he'll fund any courses I want to do but I have a feeling he'd want to pay for Business Studies, or Administration or something.

Has anyone else had a career change? How did you get the cahonies to do it?

Any advice would be gratefully received, as always. :D
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: What a way to make a living....

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm

If you love baking you could start off a business in your spare time and let it grow until it makes the decision for you to make it full time.
Bake some cakes, take some pics and advertise locally. You can build up a portfolio and add to it every time you bake a new cake.
Word of mouth will soon spread. Bake for family and friends but remember it's a business so don't do it for free.

Alternatively you could contact the princes trust. My friend started her business with them. She had to put together a business plan and then she got funding. She had help from mentors who helped her progress the business and understand all the legal side of things.

In my opinion it's never too late but the earlier you start the better.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:51 pm

I don't think the baking thing would be possible in that way, because if you're making food to sell, there are a lot of regulations. You would have to hold certificates in food hygiene, and the place you prepared the food would have to be inspected and approved, and no ordinary domestic kitchen would be good enough to pass. You'd also be officially self-employed from the first cake you sold, so would have to register with HMRC etc. It might be easier to get a Saturday job in a restaurant? Is there anywhere that could give you careers advice?

If you know you want to do something else with your life, then definitely start exploring the idea. I don't see it as risky, as you have no children dependant on you or anything, and you're young and healthy. I must admit, I did lol quite a bit at the idea of 26 being 'too old' for anything! :lol:
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your words.

I have to say I never thought of baking as a career. I like to do it for pleasure, but I've never thought that they were good enough to make a career out of.

I've been looking at courses for Interior Design which I also love. It's just it's one thing to look at the internet and dream than to actually pay money and get on the course.

:o :o
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 am

Are you in a position where you could do some internship or apprenticeship or something?

Try volunteering somewhere relevant at the weekends.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:09 pm

All good points from Snail on the baking from home front. So instead I am going to say apply for masterchef :P
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Jayz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Highland cow,

I know what you mean about getting out of the office. It is an oppressive lifestyle and it is really not a heatlhy environment to be in. I have recently thrown in the towel at my office job and although I don't have anything concrete to go into there are definitely options. I want to go into production so it is also quite a creative post. I've found that the key to this industry is experience. In addition to going to a course get try to get yourself some relevant part time work. It might even give you with a contact into the business but if nothing else it will get you acquainted with the different tools and software that companies use. It looks great on the CV and is massively important. Even if it is unpaid work while you study, if you can afford that then that would be absolutely great!

Good luck and go for it! You only go this way once!
Jayz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby highlandcow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! :D

Bel Bel wrote: So instead I am going to say apply for masterchef

Haha, I'd be terrified! Those two fellas give me the heebiejeebies. :o

I've been looking for some classes to do, but haven't found anything yet, the search goes on, so watch this space. You're right Jayz, life is too short.

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues