Packed Lunches

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Packed Lunches

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 am

Ive just started a new job and they don't have a kettle or a toaster or a microwave! I've always brought in leftovers o my dinner from the night before and put it in the microwave for my lunch but I can't do that now!

Does anyone have any nice, cold, packed lunch suggestions? I eat everything, and I'd like it to be REASONABLY healthy, but not obsessively?

Or, does anyone know any good foody-forums/blogs?

Thank you! I've been eating in their canteen and it's costing me a fortune.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Packed Lunches

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:53 pm

rufio89 wrote:Ive just started a new job and they don't have a kettle or a toaster or a microwave!

Well done on the job Rufio! :D It's odd that they don't have anything to make food in though...

I'm not sure about food blogs (if anyone comes back with anything, I think I'll have a look at it too) but I have a friend who recommended http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/. I'm not sure if it will help but it might have a few ideas.

I tend to bring in salads and sarnies but with a twist to keep it interesting. Like using feta cheese in a salad, or making wraps you can eat cold, or a Quorn turkey sandwich with sweet chilli sauce...*drools* Or some sushi when you fancy spending some money.

I'm probably getting off topic now with all this thinking about food, but there are lots of cold things to enjoy, if you look for other ingredients rather than just your basics.

Right...I'm off to have lunch! :D
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Jayz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi Rufio,

Nice one re the new job! That's great, hopw it works out ok!

Bit of a nightmare that they don't have a microwave though! A personal favourite of mine at the moment is chickpea and feta salad. Absolutely cracking. Any variation on this and you can't go too far wrong :)

Quinoa is pretty big on my list as well at the moment, I'm on a bit of health trip, and I can recommend this: simple salad.

Failing that, cold pizza. Always a win.
Jayz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Oohh...that savvy vegetarian one looks good. I think I'll be printing out a few of those recipes myself! :D :D
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Chit Chat