Need to vent

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Need to vent

Postby rufio89 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:15 pm

I hate money! I'm so stressed out at the moment.

When I got made redundant from my job, I got £2000. I was out of work for 5 weeks and I couldnt sign on because i was technically still employed for most of that time and then i had a job offer which i was starting in a couple of days so i couldnt claim. I put £1000 aside for January and £1000 aside for February incase I didnt get a job. Loads of the january money got sucked up on christmas stuff and the rest has gone on bills. I've already had to take £150 out of Februarys money just to afford electricity, petrol etc. So I have £850 to live on for the whole of February. People keep offering to lend me money but I already owe my sister hundreds of pounds and I have well over £2k on my credit card that Im desperatly trying to pay off so I cant face the thought of borrowing anymore money from people, but I literally dont even have enough money to eat now.

Then today I was going to go to my Mums house for Sunday lunch and my car wont start. I thought it might be the battery so I got my neighbour to try to jump start it but it wont start, so now Im stuck in a position where I am physically unable to pay for any repairs to my car because I have about £6 to my name at the moment, but I cant get to work unless i have a car, and if I take any more money out of my February money I wont be able to afford to pay all my bills.

I dont get paid until the end of February and I know once I've had a couple of paychecks and Ive got money coming in again I'll be fine, but I dont know how to get through this month, I'm stressed :(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Need to vent

Postby highlandcow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi Rufio,

Ooh, that sounds horrible, it's so tough being in this situation.

I know you said you don't want to borrow any more money but I think that when it gets to the point where you can't put food on the table it's time to ask for help.
Can your parents help out at all? Just until you get back on your feet at the end of February? I know it' awful to have to ask (I still have to do it sometimes too) but people who care won't want to see you struggle.

Also, is there a way you can cut down on the amounts you're paying out on bills/rent ect? When I was in this situation, I ended up moving to a smaller place, where I'm much happier, and that extra £50 per month helped. You can shop around to see if you can find cheaper insurance/electricity and gas and all that.

www.moneysavingexpert.com has loads of hints on there.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Need to vent

Postby snail » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm

I agree, I think you're going to have to ask for a temporary loan from a friend or relative :(
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Finances