What do you sleep in?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What do you sleep in?

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:19 am

Not in a creepy way lol.

I'm ALWAYS freezing, I can be sat in a room where everyone else is sweating and I'll be shivering, so when i go to bed, I tend to wear bed socks and jogging bottoms (and sometimes a hoodie depending how cold it is), and even then I'm often too cold to sleep. BUT then I always wake up in the middle of the night feeling sick because I'm so hot! I've tried sleeping in fewer clothes but I just end up waking up freezing cold. Does anyone else have this??

It's especially bad at the moment because it's so cold out and my flat is freezing!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: What do you sleep in?

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Sounds like you don't retain body heat too well. I was like you last year, when temps outside were 30C I was under a duvet shivering, but of course I was ill with my eczema and my hospital visit got rid of the feeling cold problem.
Maybe visit your docs if that persists.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:43 pm

I've always been like this, it never even occurred to me to ask the doctors! Maybe ill mention it next time
I'm there..
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:51 pm

It's worth it because when I went into hospital I got my own room simply because I couldn't retain body heat. After being dosed up on steroids etc for about a week all the shivering stopped and this winter i've been fine and haven't shivered once and this is the first year i've gone without a cold or flu.
You're doing the right thing with wearing layers though because I know when I was doing that they said it was good because I was at risk of hyperthermia. I doubt you're such a risk, but obviously you should get checked, just incase. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby highlandcow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:14 pm

rufio89 wrote:Not in a creepy way lol.

LOL.

Have you tried an electric blanket Rufio? And a hot water bottle? That's what I tend to do (or I did until my electric blanket met a sad end in the tumble dryer a few weeks ago....)

Might be worth a trip to the doc if that doesn't sort it out.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Hypersensitivity to cold is a symptom of some medical disorders but if you don't have any other physical symptoms then it's likely to just be the way you are. I'm the same - I sleep in pyjamas, with bed socks and a dressing gown as well. I also wear gloves (although that's more to do with the moisturiser on my hands). I do this for 10 out of the 12 months of the year - in the height of summer, I omit the dressing gown and socks.

I also wake up too hot, usually about 5 or 6 hours after I've gone to bed - then I kick off the duvet a little in my sleep, or even remove my socks. It seems that you do warm up after you've been asleep a while.

I think people are just different. Also, I find I need far less clothing if there's someone else in the bed, so if you usually sleep alone then you will wear more clothes than people who are part of a couple do.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:18 pm

I think I'm probably like you Snail. I rarely get too cold of if I'm with my boyfriend. I usually wake up in the night and push him to the other side of the bed so I can't get any more of his warmth haha.

Maybe I should get an electric blanket. I have 'beanie slippers' that you put in the microwave, they have been great!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby highlandcow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

rufio89 wrote:I rarely get too cold of if I'm with my boyfriend. I usually wake up in the night and push him to the other side of the bed so I can't get any more of his warmth haha.

Haha, I do that too. :D
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Snail - what moisturiser are you using on your hands? Do you have eczema or is there some other reason you use it?
Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything. :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:27 pm

I have a tendency to eczema if I don't do that, yes. I found that smothering my hands in moisturiser and wearing gloves at night meant I could pretty much do what I liked in the day, in terms of washing my hands as much as I liked and not moisturising them afterwards (I hate that slightly slimy feeling moisturisers give your hands during the day). Weleda's Skin Food is a great moisturiser but actually so is petroleum jelly - a good layer of it and shove the cotton gloves on straightaway.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Ahh yes I understand. I was doing that last year and also my first few days in hospital last year too! It can be annoying but I understand why you have to do it. Nowadays my hands are nice and smooth so I don't do it anymore but it sounds like it's a good preventative measure for you.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 pm

I've got used to wearing the gloves at night and I actually prefer it now - it makes me feel kind of snuggly :)

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby highlandcow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:58 pm

snail wrote:I've got used to weariing the gloves and I actually prefer it now - it makes me feel kind of snuggly

OK, I'm trying that tonight. It's about -2 tonight. :-X :-X (There's no shivery face so I'm using this one as a sub)

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:18 pm

I can understand that actually. You do get used to it over time :)

Cotton gloves can keep you warm, highlandcow.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 am

I sleep naked. If it is especially cold I add fleecy blankets to my bed. When I am at my Mum's I generally sleep in a tshirt, but that is the most I wear.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to Chit Chat