To move or not to move? - please help us make a decision!

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

To move or not to move? - please help us make a decision!

Postby stressball » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi guys, I hope Ive posted on the right forum, as I wasn't quite sure where to put this! But anyway here goes... I live in a 2 bed terraced house with my husband for 3.5 years now. It's quite small but it's given us what we need so far. When we moved in it was in a state, we replaced all electrics, removed all wallpaper, carpets and put a new central heating system in as well as a new bathroom and new kitchen. Now we've got it how we want it, neighbours aren't too much trouble, it's quiet and nice area. The only downside is the space - we can barely store anything even after being ruthless and throwing away all unnecessary items (hubby has sold a few bits on eBay as well). We are planning to start a family v soon (in about 6 months) so 2 weeks ago started looking at 3 bed houses. Well we found one we like, is in our price range, so I asked our mortgage lender to quote us on extending the mortgage which they were more than happy to do - great we thought. So we had the estate agent round today, priced up our house and he told us he could sell it for more than we were expecting - fantastic, or so u would think. Now it's become a reality hubby and I sat down and discussed whether we are 100% sure we want to move and do you know what? We don't. We don't know what the neighbours are like, there are a few issues with 2 of the rooms (it's open plan downstairs which we both don't like) and we don't know the risk of if we move whether we'd be taking a step backwards all for 1 extra bedroom for the little one if u know what I mean. The estate agent did say he wanted to put our house on the Market regardless of whether we get this house or not, so we are in a better position should we find another that we like if we don't get this one. I guess what I'm trying to say is, does anyone think we should move? I do want to stay but I also want to move bcos of the space issues. Has anyone had any similar experiences?? :(
User avatar
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:32 pm
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Gender: Female

Re: To move or not to move? - please help us make a decision

Postby Tucco » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi stressball,

wow thats a question! You will get a huge variety of replies because it will be all down to personal preferences.
I think that you will always need more room if you start a family as kids come with a HUGE amount of stuff that has to go somewhere, people are always (very kindly) buying them presents, such as pretend kitchens etc which need to go somewhere LOL.
On the practicle side, if you move now house prices should be lower (including your own) but thats a good thing as when prices start to rise you mortgage repayments will be higher, also with interest rates low you should be able to get a good deal.
Also you have not mentioned garden space, that is something that is really great for the kids.

All this is down to your own choice but you must have a reason in the back of your head somewhere or both of you would have never considered it.

Try this website, nethouseprices.co.uk it shows you how much houses have sold for in the road you are interested in, rather than just the asking price, great barganing tool.

I hope this helps, goodluck.
Tucco
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:39 pm
Gender: Male

Re: To move or not to move? - please help us make a decision

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Is there anyway you can extend your existing property, do a loft conversion or just put some stuff in storage?
I have had horrendous problems with bad neighbours and had to move because of it.
If you aren't sure about the other house don't buy it. Look at other properties available in your budget too.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

User avatar
Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate
 
Posts: 6758
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Gender: Female

Re: To move or not to move? - please help us make a decision

Postby highlandcow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I think if you have doubts then you shouldn't do it. Moving is such a stressful thing that it shouldn't really be done unless it's the last possible option.
(Of course that's just my opinion...other people will disagree)

In terms of space, you can put things in storage, or look into getting a conservatory/loft extension?
Or is there any family around with bigger places who can help? (My Dad still has LOADS of my stuff in his house, as he has a 4 bed house and I live in a 1 bed :D )
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
User avatar
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Gender: Female

Re: To move or not to move? - please help us make a decision

Postby stressball » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 am

Hi All, thanks for all of your replies :D they really did help - and I haven't had a chance to reply until now, sorry.

A lot has happened since I last posted funnily enough - and we did think if we had doubts then that should be ringing alarm bells. I don't know if I said this before, but we had our house valued last Saturday - and we were told we'd get much more for it than we thought (We did go on one of those websites that compare the selling price of our neighbours and this is where our original estimate came from).

My husband was not entirely happy with the back access - the way the houses were laid out meant that at least 12 of our neighbours could see directly in our back garden and there was a dark alleyway in between. It is such a shame as the house itself seems near enough perfect (apart from a v old central heating system).

Well we weighed up our options over that weekend, and decided that we were probably getting way ahead of ourselves - we don't need the extra bedroom at this moment in time plus what's to say we'll be fine conceiving straight away - plus all the upheaval of moving combined with the stress of my college exams is probably not a good idea.

So in summary, we decided that if another house comes up on the market we will have another look but for now we are content staying where we are. In short, we will not move for anything less than perfect.

Thanks to you all for your sound advice xx
User avatar
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:32 pm
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Gender: Female


Return to And the rest...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests