New Years Resolutions

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: New Years Resolutions

Postby captainf » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:02 pm

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself really. Just wait and see what they say when I hear from them this coming week.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby highlandcow » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Sounds like it went well Captain. Shame you didn't get the plane question though. :)
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 pm

hehe I know. We also had to discuss a scenario which also was about a small plane crash in the mountains in scotland... The woman assessing us kept laughing and saying 'so much aeroplane stuff, you should do well' I guess I signed up at the right time.. :lol:
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby highlandcow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:47 pm

captainf wrote:The woman assessing us kept laughing and saying 'so much aeroplane stuff, you should do well' I guess I signed up at the right time..

Sounds like they were all friendly! That's a good sign. It puts you at ease if nothing else.

When will you hear back from them?
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Yes, they made it as layed back as possible really! It was a good atmosphere.

I should hear within 7 days. I've already decided that if I don't make it through this time I will apply again in a year (I believe it's a year wait before we can apply again)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby highlandcow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Not long to wait then! Let us know. :D :D

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Will do. I'm very nervous.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Bad news i'm afraid. I didn't make it to the next stage. :( They said that i'm likable and intelligent but lacked enough life experience at this current time.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Aww so sorry to hear that.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby snail » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Bum :(

Is there any voluntary work you could do for the police or a similar organisation to increase your experience?
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 pm

The only thing they suggested was that I apply to be PCSO to gain experience.
I'm not really in the right frame of mind today to really weigh up pro's and con's because i've never given much thought to PCSO's - everyone seems to think they are pointless and they can only detain someone for 30mins, in hope a regular makes it to the scene in time to arrest them.
I think i'm warming to the idea but i'm not sure if i've now got to wait for 6 months since i've already had a rejection to be an SC.
On the plus side PCSO's are paid, downside is - when is their next intake and how many are already in the holding pool for the position?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby highlandcow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Oh no! That sucks Captain. I was wondering about this all week.

I would give thought to PCSO work though. It would be good for the experience and could lead to what you want. And it's paid.
It can't hurt to look into it anyway.

Hope you're feeling OK. :grouphug: :grouphug:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Some other ideas off the top of my head:

Get a job:
in probation or with ex offenders
helping people with drug problems
helping people with housing problems
basically working with anyone with serious barriers - look at welfare to work organisations

Volunteer:
As a special police officer
In probation
In a prison
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Highlandcow,
Thanks for the support. I'm gutted I didn't get through to the next stage of becoming a Special Constable. I think it feels abit like a kick in the balls at the moment. :( I will probably apply for the PCSO job but i'll have to see if there is an intake, i'm also not sure if I have to wait since having had a rejection. There was an intake of full officers recently that were recruited from the specials and PCSO's only, but they had been in a holding pool since around 2009! I assume there must be something similar for PCSO's too.

Hi Rufio,

Many thanks for the list of jobs. I hadn't ever given thought to those (apart from the special constable, which is what I applied for) I have to be careful as I think some jobs prevent one from going on to be an officer. I think I will apply for the PCSO job and see how that goes but I do have a prison not too far from me so I might also look into that as an option too.
Thankyou for being so kind :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:37 am

Whoops, sorry, I thought you'd applied to be a 'normal' policeman!
Do you know any police officers you could talk to?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat