Am finally going to lose weight - help and tips please?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Am finally going to lose weight - help and tips please?

Postby stressball » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey All, ive finally decided to do something about my weight - on 9th jan I weighed in at a hefty 13 stone... I'm only 5 " 5 :S

Anyways, I've lost 5 measly pounds since then so decided to step it up a gear! Here's my plan:
- walk to work and back mon - fri (30 mins each way x 5 = 5 hours)
- do my aerobics DVD for an hour 3 times a week (3 hours)
- drink lots of water
- limit any crisps (my biggest downfall) and chocolate

That's it really!

I walk to work and back anyway and have just this week completed 3 hours aerobics so quite pleased with myself for doing it!

Does anyone else have any suggestions or tips to help me along? My goal is 10 1/2 stone by mid July so it's roughly 30 pounds in 20 weeks... Any advice would be very gratefully received! :)

Stressball x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Am finally going to lose weight - help and tips please?

Postby highlandcow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 pm

I think you've got a good basis there! :D

Have you thought about the clubs, like Slimming World? I've heard great things about them.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby highlandcow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Also, try superfoods, try to get your 5-a-day, but watch out for some fruit juices as they have a lot of sugar.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby stressball » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi Highlandcow, because I'm lacking in funds (and confidence!) I don't really want to have to join a slimming club unless I absolutely have to if you know what I mean.

I've started eating more veg (but can't stand fruit) and I do drink a lot of orange juice, I'll have to watch that, thanks :)I take a Vitamin C supplement every day too.

Just wondered what sort of foods I should be eating really - i tend to have cereal in the morning (special k with semi skimmed milk) a sandwich for lunch (bread, cheese and ham) and then alternate dinners in the evening - usually quick ones as I can't cook (and dont have the time either!)

Also, partner needs to gain weight, so not prepared to go without as he's more likely to go without as well bless him! Ahhh the dilemma lol! x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby highlandcow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 pm

stressball wrote:Also, partner needs to gain weight, so not prepared to go without as he's more likely to go without as well bless him! Ahhh the dilemma lol! x

Oh my God, that must be so difficult! If my partner needed to gain weight, and I was trying to diet, I'd last until lunchtime. :oops:

I'm not sure about certain types of foods to eat, but I guess whatever you do it, remember to keep it in moderation. :D x

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby stressball » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Yeah, tell me about it! To be fair though, the only mealtime we share is dinnertime, so I have absolutely no excuse to not eat right breakfast and lunchtime :)

I completely agree - I just hope I don't go back to my old ways at the weekends, hehe!!

xx
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 am

When it comes to dinners with your boyfriend, I think the best thing is to make something fairly healthy and just give him bigger portions.

My parents started putting all their food on serving dishes on the table rather than serving straight onto their plates and just taking small portions and getting more if they were still hungry and they both lost like 6lbs!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby stressball » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi Rufio89, that is such a good idea - why didn't I think of that before? #-o I'll do that from now on- thank you :D

I think I'm doing OK so far... I did eat some crisps and choc today but did an hour of cardio to compensate! I just think I do resort to eating junk food I'm going to have to work it off - simple as!

Really hope this time it'll work!

x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby stressball » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:14 am

So weighed in this morning....and after 10 hours of exercise last week (5 hours walking, 5 hours aerobics) I've lost 1 measly pound! Feel really really demotivated right now and wonder if it's all worth it! :( for goodness sake, not sure what else I can do, other than actually starving myself! :( xx
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 am

Don't forget that if youre doing exercise you'll be gaining muscle weight, this might go in for a while before you see a noticeable change in your weight but you will be getting thinner. Maybe you should start measuring yourself instead? Like a waist measurement, that will change even if you're gaining muscle weight.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby highlandcow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 pm

Rufio's right...muscle weighs more than fat after all!

Don't stress it, you will get there! :D :D xx

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Also a pound a week is still 20 pounds. That's a stone and a half.
It may be a little easier when it gets warmer to lower your calorie intake with salads etc and also you will probably get out and about more when it's warm and use up more calories
If you just amble to wrok it probably won't be doing much you need to do a good fast walk to get any benefit.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby stressball » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks all - it's strange as I would say exactly the same thing about muscle weighing more than fat to anyone else who'dve said what i did - but yet I can't apply it to myself!! It's a shame I didn't think to measure myself at the beginning of me doing this, but I guess I can start from today and go from there.. :)

I feel better today as the scales show I'm 2lbs lighter than my weigh in on Monday.. I havent done any aerobics just the walking so far so goodness knows what's going on!! I must add - when I walk to work I walk with 2 people who walk v fast and end up hot/out of breath when I reach my destination, so I think it's doing me good, hopefully!!

Who said losing weight was easy?!? lol.

x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby seksiclaire » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi, the best thing i ever did was to buy Hannah Watermans exercise dvd. I tried loads before hers, jordan workout/ministry of sound pump it up/davina etc, and NONE were as good as this one. I am only 4ft 11 in height lol, but in March 2010 i weighed 9 stone and was a size 12, nothing wrong with a size 12 at all but being the height i am, i felt that this was too big for my frame as i am only small. I bought her dvd, didnt change my diet much really and im like you i love crisps and chocolate, by July 2010 i was 7st 10 and a size 8. and pretty toned too, thankfully as i was going on holiday to Miami a few weeks later lol. Im still a size 8 two years later and i stll do her dvd now and again. I will be doing it more leading up to my holidays in September though. It is hard the first time you do it but you build it up until your fitness levels get higher and you can do more and more without being out of breath. Its all based on interval training and Hannah and the trainers tell you that just 10 minutes of the dvd is the equivalent of doing 1 hour of cardio in the gym, and a 20 minute session can burn up to 500 calories. The whole dvd is a warm up, 3 x 20 minute exercises, plus abs exercises and a cool down, so imagine how many calories is burnt throughout the whole thing! :)
seksiclaire
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby PEJ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:59 pm

I was desperate to loose weight last year for my son's wedding. Over a period of about 10 years, about 3 Stone had gone on and it had to go.

In my opinion there is only one way and that is to devote the next few months to loosing weight. This means planning every outing and cancelling if sticking to the diet is not possible. I actually turned down a holiday in Spain, because I knew I couldn't be "good".
Shopping - I made a list of what I needed and could eat, and then stuck to it. I had to buy different food for the rest of the family, but I said it was for them, and they were to help me NOT eat it.

So before every outing or occasion, I researched and planned. A trip to a coffee shop - black coffee, no cake, lunch out, look up the menu on line, select a meal and stick to it. I generally chose from the starter menu. If there is nothing on the menu, phone the restaurant and ask for a smoked salmon/ham/ prawn salad. Every place I phoned happily provided a low calorie meal of my choice. Loosing weight became an obsession, and every day was planned and the rules obeyed. Any exercise became a priority, over anything else. It sounds extreme, but it is no more than we do when we are pregnant, or when we have small children.

The downfall for a lot of diets, is the night out, the weekend away, the celebration meal etc etc. The reality is, if you really want to loose weight you have to be strict and think of a way round these events.

I lost 3 Stone in 4 months and have not put it back on. The diet I choose is immaterial, what mattered for me, and what matters for everybody, is to chose the eating plan that works and then stick to it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, until the weight has gone. And the only way to stick to it is to make it the number one priority in your life.

For the record, with the exception of my partner, no one even noticed, I was being picky over my food. My friends and family didn't notice, the black coffees, the salad lunches, the non alcoholic drinks.
PEJ
Just Landed
Just Landed

Next

Return to Physical