Life in the fast lane?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Life in the fast lane?

Postby highlandcow » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:36 pm

My boyfriend is about to get a new car for his birthday. There is nothing wrong with the car he has now, except it's getting on a bit (it's an N reg) and he needs to get one that is safer to drive on long journeys as he does a lot of motorway driving. He LOVES his car, and knows everything there is to know about fixing it and looking after it. He loves it so much that I've seen him kiss it goodnight. :o

It's not so much a problem, but since he's getting this new car, he wants to give me his current one. It's not worth much, he wouldn't be able to sell it on, and he doesn't want to scrap it. I can't drive (legally! I mean, I CAN drive, I just haven't passed my test yet) so in theory the car would be perfect for me to hone my skills with and have as a first car when (if!) I pass my test. But he LOVES this car. I'm scared that if I so much as stall, he might think I'm not looking after it.
And what if we were to break up!? I know that I would be the legal owner, but he's had this car since he was 17, it's his first car.

It just seems to me like a fantastic gesture and I don't want to seem like a brat about it, but, something doesn't feel right.

What do people think?
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Life in the fast lane?

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 pm

I can see why your worried
What engine size is it because if it's over a 1200 cc your probably not going to want to pay the kind of insurance they will want? Problem solved

If not how about saying you bound to have an accident in the first year, it's statistically likely and how will he feel if he see's it all damaged, bearing in mind it could well be your fault

On the other hand if it breaks he'll fix it for you

Are you ever likely to do motorway driving , if so decline on the basis it isn't safe enough for him so you would rather get something safer yourself
The newer the car the more safety features it will have

Offer him a token amount if you do take it so you have bought it from him and get a receipt so neither of you have a come back if you split up
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby highlandcow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks Bel Bel, these are some really good points. It's good to know that I'm not being really ungrateful in worrying about it.

The car is a 1.0 litre and he says it's going to be better for me as I won't be doing as much motorway driving (I'm so terrified of the motorway, I don't reckon I'll ever drive on it!) whereas he drives hundreds of miles most weekends.

I've looked into insurance quotes and it only costs about £700 p/a which isn't too bad.

I did mention accidents to him and he did agree that it is more likely that I'd have one in my first year, but he did stress that his number one concern would be me, rather than the car.

I just think that he will forever think of it as "his car".

His birthday is in June, so there is plenty of time to think about things. :)
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Well I think you should say to him if I am going to have the car I want to buy it off you for £50. That way you can always say you bought it and it belongs to you.
To be honest he would pay more to get someone to take it away if he scrapped it so I think that's the best way forward for you both.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Chit Chat