Marriage Advice

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Marriage Advice

Postby RagDoll » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi all,

Well as some of you will now know, I am getting married in August, sooo I am just curious what people think makes a good relationship/marriage? What do people think are the key ingredients?

I think having respect for each other is very important. I think if you have respect, then it helps stop you in your tracks when, say, you're having an argument. It kinda helps you not push it/the other person too far.

Any other suggestions/thoughts? :)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Marriage Advice

Postby rufio89 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:48 pm

I think that when you're talking long term (which obviously marriage is!), then it's important to recognise what the other person's flaws are and accept them - to remember that it's not going to be a fairlytale all the time and there will be ups and downs and it'll take work, but remembering at the same time that you love each other and that's why it's worth it.

My godparents have been married for 37 years this year and they are the happiest couple I know and I think their key is accepting that they're not the same - they have different interests, different hobbies, different views, but those things dont matter so long as they can accept the other person for who they are. Also to take an interest in the other persons hobbies/interests when you can bear it and do your own thing when you cant. For example, he's really into engineering and he likes to go around steam fairs during the summer. She always hated it because it wasnt her thing, but she went along with him because she didnt like to be away from him for so many weekends, but now she's got a group of other 'wives and girlfriends', that she has made good friends with there and they do other, more girly things together while the husbands are off getting greasy! I realise that they are in their 60s and it's not going to be the same but I've always admired them as a couple :)

I've never managed to make a relationship last long term though, so I'm probably not a very good source of information haha.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm

I have been with Mr Bel Bel for 19 years now so I would say

PATIENCE
communication
your own space and interests as well as some common interests
always treat someone how you want to be treated yourself
maintaining a close bond, make time for a five minute cuddle everyday
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby highlandcow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:44 pm

My grandparents ave been married for nearly 60 years, they are a constant inspiration. :)

The best advise my Gran gave me was, never go to bed on an argument, try not to take minor disagreements too seriously, and always stay best friends :D
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Chit Chat