Am I dyslexic?

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Am I dyslexic?

Postby Poppybear » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:13 pm

I have this strange thing where when I am reading letters and words sometimes switch places. Is this is a symtom of dyslexia? While it can be very entertaining at times its a pain. :(
It has been affecting my work for years but as I have a high attention to detail it was never really noticable in my work. I never fell behind in class and have always had a love of books. For example imagine someone 'barking a car' instead of 'braking' entertaining but odd. :o
Poppybear
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Am I dyslexic?

Postby ILoveChristmas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 am

You may very well be dyslexic, but there are other possibilities too, such as dysgraphia, whereby you would most likely have the word you wanted to write or type clear in your own mind, but what comes out on paper or screen is in the wrong order.

As with most things, you can suffer from them in varying degrees of severity.

You should make an appointment with your doctor who can arrange for you to have tests carried out and a diagnosis made, although you don't sound like you suffer badly, which may make diagnosis more difficult.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby flosspot101 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm

It could be a sign of dyslexia. I have the same symptoms of you and have managed all the way through school and university without being diagnosed. Now that I am in a job it is more and more apparent that I really struggle with reading, writing and grammer. Get tested if you can.
flosspot101
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:05 pm

One of the cures for dyslexia is to read through pink lenses, you can do it with pink see through paper or lighting lense filters work well if you can borrow one from the drama class (?)
If you can read fine with the pink then it is definately dyslexia
However as I love Christmas says it comes in many severities so worth getting to the doctors anyway
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Just to say that this thread is nearly 2 years old now.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to School, College & University