Online Presence of the Deceased

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Online Presence of the Deceased

Postby rufio89 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi All,

I've put this in Chit Chat because it's not really a problem, but I would like people's opinions.

My Grandma passed away last summer. We were close and I miss her a lot. Anyway, after she died, my Dad or my uncle was keeping an eye on her emails and stuff and so I deleted her from my GoogleChat list because I kept seeing her 'online' and it made me really sad.

The last couple of weeks, I've been on Skype a lot, talking to various people. I've noticed she's on my friends list on Skype still. I dont know whether to delete her, because she's obviously not going to be online again. I feel like it's maybe too final an action to delete her? I know that's silly, she's not coming back, but for some reason I just cant bring myself to do it...
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Online Presence of the Deceased

Postby highlandcow » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:35 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry to hear of your loss Ruth.

I think that if it was causing me a lot pain and stopping me from dealing with it, I personally would delete the person from the list. That being said, I can TOTALLY understand why that's a hard thing to do. Is there any way you can "hide" them from a list, rather than delete them? Just until you're ready to make the next step.

Remember though, that they'll always be in your thoughts and heart. :)
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Chit Chat