Step Away from The Vehicle!

Go here if you need cheering up, or if you feel the urge to cheer someone else up!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Step Away from The Vehicle!

Postby highlandcow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Agh I'm upset. :(

I saw my consultant yesterday about my hip, 6 months after surgery. (For those who don't know, in November I had surgery on my hip to repair damaged muscles) and he's told me that my hip is so damaged that it can't ever be "normal".
He's also told me that I shouldn't really drive. And I shouldn't attempt to take lessons for another 6 months and even if I do pass my test, I'm likely not to be able to drive for very long before the muscle cramps up and gets damaged.

I've been taking lessons since I was 19, I'm now 26 and I've had to stop so many times to have operations and this is another set back. All my friends can drive, and while I know it's not really a problem in a city, it's making me sad being the only one who still can't. My boyfriend's sister is 8 years younger than me and she's taking her test this week. :(

My parents never took me out to practice, which I don't mind so much as I don't think I'm a good student to be honest.

I know there could be way worse problems and I'm sways grateful that my hip is really the only thing really wrong with me health wise, it's just quite upsetting that this is another thing I can't do. :(
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Step Away from The Vehicle!

Postby rufio89 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am

:( that sucks HC, I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it is when you see 17 year olds whizzing around in their own cars.

Are there any exercises you could do (not necessarily now, but in the future) that might strenghten the muscles in your hip?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby highlandcow » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:42 pm

There isn't really much exercise that he's recommended. I go swimming once a week to strengthen the muscle, but I can't really do much else with it, as there is too much risk of damage.

I've been told that it'll never be normal, and there are always going to be things that I either can't do, or will find hard.

I'm feeling down, but I'm trying to remember that there are so many people that are worse off!
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:11 am

highlandcow wrote:I'm feeling down, but I'm trying to remember that there are so many people that are worse off!

While this is important to remember, also make sure you acknowledge that it IS rubbish and you're entitled to feel a bit sorry for yourself!!! xxx
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Which leg is affected i.e will an automatic solve the problem
I had an ankle op for and have had to drive an automatic since
It is also worth looking into adaption. They can do all sort of adaptions to help "disabled" people now
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby highlandcow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:17 pm

It's the right leg Bel, so I think that an automatic would be the same. I'm not sure though, because a lot of people suggest it.

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Can't you use either foot for an auto?

I am sorry about your condition stopping you from doing alot though. That is such ashame.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 am

I use my right leg for driving my auto, but you could get a left hand drive car?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:22 am

I think the peddles are still the same way round so you still need to use your right foot, genius idea otherwise :P

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:24 am

Oh and captainf no you can't use your left foot. The peddles are set to the right so it be would be really awkward and you would end up crashing.

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:59 am

whoops! Anyway you can get specially adapted cars.

Quick google search:

http://www.adaptedcarhire.co.uk/adaptations

This has a left-foot accelerator.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Cheer me up!