Furnishing a new house

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Furnishing a new house

Postby shopaholic21 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:31 am

Hi,

My fiance and I have just brought a new house together.

This in itself was very expensive with the legal fees, stamp duty etc. As a young couple we are also trying to put money away for a wedding and holidays etc too.

I just wondered if anybody had any tips or ideas on how to decorate and furnish without spending loads?

Thanks
shopaholic21
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Furnishing a new house

Postby Ticktock » Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Well if you are prepared to do second hand then people like British Heart Foundation do a nice range of used furniture, also look in the ex-catalogue places (we have a couple which open up for about six months, sell the stock and reappear later in the year.

The thing to remember when you start is that you can't get too hung up on everything matching or buying too much, just stick to the basics and then as money gets better you can replace the items which don't work for you.

As far as white goods go, always buy washing machines and fridge/freezers new as most people use them to death, cookers on the other hand, especially gas, can happily tick over for decades!

Of course ask your parents advice as well, especially while leading round the shops with their credit card in hand...

As far as decorating goes, the general rule is if you don't know what you are doing get some help, just painting walls in light colours to start with and then experimenting on each room worked for me...

Finally, just a personal observation, don't use laminate flooring in the living room, looks nice, feels cold!
Ticktock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:46 pm

have a look on gumtree/ebay and freecycle for furniture! It might not be beautiful but it is good to get you started then you can gradually replace things with nicer stuff. Also, Ikeas always safe.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby shopaholic21 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

We had a look in the British Heart Foundation and I was very surprised, I found a solid wood dressing table which could easily be 'restored' to a vintage style piece- I think we shall go back in tomorrow and pay for it.

I have also looked on Ebay for solid furniture within a 25mile radius and was really surprised and am currently watching some items (bedside tables etc).
shopaholic21
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby brfc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Baycrazy. its a site that connects you to local ebay items. i won a sofa and chair in decent condition 6p last night. :D
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Finances