Tips for getting over a break up

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Tips for getting over a break up

Postby highlandcow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Since it's something everyone goes through...I think there should be a topic where we can all write down our tips for getting over a relationship so that anyone going through a break-up can see lots of different things from different people that could help them.

(If there already is a topic like this, sorry in advance. I did have a look but nothing jumped out.)

My relationship of 3 years ended 5 weeks ago, so I will start the topic by listing a few things that have helped me feel a wee bit more human.

[*] Talk. It helps to talk to your friends, family, anyone who will listen. Don't keep all the feelings locked in.
[*] Keep a journal. I've done this with this break up and the one before that. Don't censor yourself, get all those feeling out on paper before you go to bed.
[*] Give yourself little tasks to get you through each day. Mine were really small at first (ie: be involved in a conversation at work, or go for a short walk)
[*] Take a bit of exercise. Even if it's only brief. Exercise is proven to improve psychological well-being and reduce depression and anxiety.
[*] Watch plenty of comedy. I've been round at friends houses watching films and "Two and a Half Men" repeats.
[*] Get it all out on PP. I've found it very helpful to hear other people's perspectives on your relationship and stories of their own break-ups.

Hopefully others will have more. Let's all help each other. :D

xx
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Tips for getting over a break up

Postby RagDoll » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:57 pm

I think trying to keep things in perspective and being determined to stay strong can help.

Sounds silly and this is quite a personal one, but I never had a chance to get to know my Grandmother, but by all accounts she was a strong character and very admired by everyone. When my Granddad died, she was determined not to crumble – within relatively little time, she was still going to the bingo etc. with her friends as she always had (she was a very sociable person). Obviously she must have been devastated inside, but I think the will to keep going is important.

When I split up with someone who had been a big part of my life, I used to think of my Grandma and how strong she was, and how by comparison, me breaking up with my boyfriend was relatively minor. I also thought about how a little bit of her exists in me and that used to inspire me to keep going.

I would also add keeping busy to the list above. You need time to think, cry etc. but too much time to dwell on everything isn’t that helpful, particularly not when you’re still very hurt. It tends to be more helpful to dwell on things when a bit of time has passed and you can reflect on what may have gone wrong, try and learn lessons from the relationship etc. when it’s not so raw.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Tips for getting over a break up

Postby Raven » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:19 am

Sorry to bring up an old post but:

+ Buy and read 'It's called a Breakup because it's broken." Very good book. Quite brutal at times but very funny and helps to put things in perspective.
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Mental wellbeing