Addressing colleagues in emails

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Addressing colleagues in emails

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:20 am

Hi All,

This isnt a problem, I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

I've been in my current job about 6 months. I've worked in offices the past 5 years or so, but i've never worked anywhere as corporate as this.

Anyway, in the past, when I've sent emails externally, I've been very formal (Dear so and so, Good Morning/Good Afternoon Mr so and so etc), but when I've sent internal emails, I've just said 'Hi Joe' or whatever. At this place, you're not allowed to write 'Hi' or 'Hello' in emails! They have to be address properly, 'Dear'/'Good Morning' but when theyre just sending a quick email they just put the name, nothing else, and I've been told I should do this too.

But I just CANT. I cant send an email to some saying:

"Mark

This needs doing.

Ruth"

It seems SO rude to me and it makes me really uncomfortable when I get these emails.

I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this and if anyone else feels uncomfortable about it?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Addressing colleagues in emails

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:04 pm

It's the rules, not only does everyone else know that but I assume that's how they send their e mails too it won't be taken as rude even though I agree it is

You could soften it with Thanks or Regards Ruth.

You have to do what you are told or risk your job.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 pm

I do work for a multi-national, and all the Americans address their emails this way, whereas all the Brits and Europeans write "Hi" first. I write to the Americans my way, but I don't mind when they reply their way as I know it's not meant to be rude (I think they feel it's more businesslike). What they do do though is put a comma after the name - this does help to soften it I think - and they do sign off with "Best regards". So not:

Sheila

Please send Emily the new packaging

Brian

But:

Sheila,

Please send Emily the new packaging

Best regards
Brian
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 pm

I know how you feel Ruth, I got told off a couple of months ago for putting a smiley face in an email to a customer. I just wasn't thinking...but to be fair, I couldn't understand why someone would take issue with a couple of bits of rouge punctuation.

I don't like not saying "hello" or "hi" either. I just don't understand why it's "rude" to say it. When I get an email like that, it puts me on the wrong foot instantly. If you have to do it like that then I would sign off with "Best regards" like Snail says, or "Many thanks".

My standard response is "Many thanks, as ever".
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby mattmxl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:43 pm

I worry that people get too easily offended over things like this these days, what with Web 2.0 being such a big part of everybody's lives. I don't have to send many e-mails externally, but within the company everything is kept causal between our department. Hi, Hello, Alright mate, How's me old Mucker there etc are all used and just accepted. Though if the bosses ever get one, its Good Morning Mr Berkenshaw, or Dear Mrs Goldsmith-Gland-Baxter.

I can't be doing with taking offence at things like that. If I did, I'd spend my life in a perpetual state of offence. This might get me put into the "strange" category (again) but I am who I am I guess.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues