Living with a friend?

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Living with a friend?

Postby highlandcow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:35 pm

As a few of you know, I've just split up with my boyfriend of nearly 3 years (cue sobs, violins etc). It's left me uncomfortable in the house that we chose and decorated together (we didn't officially live together but he had a lot of input) and created memories in.

My close friend lives alone as of recently and has a space room that he's offered me. He says I'd have free reign of the house and the rent and bills are the same amount as I'm paying in rent alone on my current place. He says it makes sense that I take the room, as I'm not happy living alone and it saves him the bother of advertising and trying find someone that he may not even get on with in the end.

We've known eachother nearly 10 years, he's got a stable job as an accountant and we've never found eachother attractive in "that" way. He's got a rather complicated love life and I'd NEVER want to get involved with him.

He's a good friend, and it seems like a good offer as we do know each other so well but I've never lived with a friend before. I don't want things to go wrong and mess up our friendship over money or who left the cap off the toothpaste or something.

Does anyone have any advice?
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Living with a friend?

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 pm

As long as you set house rules and get on I don't think you'll have issues. Just needs to be clear from the outset, so are you going to have a kitty for all incidentals (cleaning products, loo roll) are you going to pay him for bills and he sorts them all out.

I have to say I like living with just one guy. And you have a better chance of it working out as you are friends.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Living with a friend?

Postby snail » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 pm

I think it's a good idea too. It'll take some adjustment but I think it would be worth it for the benefits. As Skarlet says, set ground rules on bills and housework before you start.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 am

I think it's a great idea HLC, it'll do you some good to have some company for a while and if youre just renting through him, it shouldnt be too rigid a contract so if it turns out it doesnt work, you can always move again. I much prefer living with men as well, so I wouldnt worry too much about that.

The only things I think you should consider (from my experience):

How tidy is he? Someone much messier OR tidier than you can be very annoying. I've lived with both, my current housemate leaves stuff everywhere and it drives me crazy, but one of my old housemates would be breathing down my neck for not doing my washing up while I was still eating my dinner.

Who pays for stuff like cleaning products/soap/toilet paper etc? I think my housemate thinks this stuff arrives from the magic-cleaning fairies.

Who does the cleaning of the communal areas? I have no objection to doing all this myself so long as my housemate keeps it tidy enough, but that part of the deal seems to have passed him by.

Finally, you say he's got a rather complicated love life. Is that likely to have any impact on you? Is some crazy girl going to turn up in the middle of the night? Are they going to be screaming at each other?

But overall, I think living with someone you get on with is great! I really miss it!!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby highlandcow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks guys, this is all good advice.

I'm still not sure yet, as it's a bit of a down-size really. I've got so much stuff that I'd have to put into storage, like fridge freezer, couch and all the big things.
And I've never lived with a friend, I'm worried that after being able to do my own thing all the time in my own place, I'll never be able to adjust.

Still, it's company and, let's face it, someone to come home to. Which I really need at the moment. I hate living alone.

I'm going to pop round and see the house in a "I'm planning to live here" way on Monday so hopefully we can iron out some issues then.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:37 am

How did it go last night HLC? What do you reckon?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby highlandcow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:25 pm

It went OK, he briefly showed me round, but I'm not sure. I don't think I'm going to go for it to be honest. The house is nice enough but it's quite a walk from the station and there wasn't any buses nearby. With my bad hip, I don't want to have to walk miles every day.

There just seem to be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't move in there, like having to get rid of a lot of my furniture, and not having my own space. As well as practical issues like the only bathroom being downstairs etc.

When I told my Dad about the amount of rent I'd be paying, he said why pay that much for one room when I could spend a bit more and have my own place. Makes sense really. I viewed another flat yesterday which I really liked. I'm probably going to go for that one.

I've never moved "alone" before, it's always been with a boyfriend that I've lived with, or (like the last time) with someone (my ex) who was helping with a lot of the heavy stuff. It feels very strange to do all of this by myself.

I'm scared. :-?

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Skarlet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Then it makes sense to go for the new place.

Just make sure you have some friends who can come and help you move.

You'll have your own space to put your mark on things, arrange things in your own way, be able to dance around and do what you want to. It will be scary and exciting. *hugs*
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby highlandcow » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks Skarlet. It is quite exciting to move in somewhere that has no memories of anyone else. And be able to put things where I want, like you say.
And have a really girlie bedroom. :)

I'll have to rope my friends in to help, of course and get a removal company or all the big things.

Eeek! I'm really scared, but I really need to do this, just to prove I can do things without him.

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:15 am

You could always get a 2 bed place and then consider getting someone else to move in to the spare room in the future if you decide you want to try having a housemate. That's what I did. Although in all honesty, I HATE living with him and I want to punch him in the face almost all of the time (even though he's actually a really nice guy, he just winds me up!)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby seahorsesally » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:42 pm

I think it will be good for you to do this on your own, a bit like starting a new chapter by yourself. living alone may give you a better insight into the 'real' you (cheesy i know) but like others have said you can put your own stamp on things and have good quality me time. it will also be something productive to put your time and energy into which should help keep you busy. picking up bits n bobs or even browsing through ikea's website will get you excited for the future without dwelling too much on ur ex.

You've said he is a good friend so you should be able to explain to him your reasons without causing offence or anyhing.
seahorsesally
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby highlandcow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Yeah he says he's not going to mind either way, he just wanted to give me first dibs on the place.
I'm glad he's not going to take offence, I'd hate to have to force myself into a situation that I wasn't comfortable with just avoid giving offence.

I emailed the estate agents about the flat I saw on Monday but they came back and told me it had been taken by someone else. But then I got another email yesterday saying that this person had pulled out and was I still interested. So hopefully it will be mine and I will be moving next month.

It's exciting but very sad as well. I knew I wasn't going to stay in the place I am forever, but me and my ex did have some happy memories here. But now all I can think of is that this place is also where everything ended and I know I have to move on.

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Good luck for the move. I'm sure it will be very positive for you. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Friends