Car Tax

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Car Tax

Postby rufio89 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:01 am

Hello,

I dont know if someone can advise! My car tax expires tomorrow (30th August) and I havent got a new tax disk yet, I just kept putting it off and I only realised yesterday that I was running out of time. The problem is, I was hunting for my registration documents this morning and I cant find them anywhere! I've not had the car long so I remember them coming through and putting them "in a safe place" but I have no idea where that is now. I also never got a copy of the MOT certificate - I know you can get a copy from a garage but you need your registration documents to do it!!

I'm worried that I'm going to get fined if I dont sort it out today?! Does anyone know??
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Car Tax

Postby mattmxl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 am

I remember people just going to the Post Office on the first of the month and buying in a new tax disc. Does it not work like that anymore?
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mattmxl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:38 am

mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby ILoveChristmas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 pm

You don't need your registration document or MOT to get a tax disc provided you have your tax renewal reminder letter.

If you tax the car via the www.direct.gov.uk website the site checks the appropriate databases automatically and establishes whether your car is currently insured and has a valid MOT certificate. If all is well you can buy your tax. All you need is the renewal reference number which is printed on the reminder letter.

If I've ever been late buying my tax I've printed out the confirmation of purchase and sat that on my dashboard until the disc arrives. It's still technically not right, but it'll appease most Police and traffic wardens.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 pm

and if you can't find the renewel letter ring them and ask for the number becasue you want to buy it online, they will usually give it to you
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Chit Chat