Visiting your parents

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Visiting your parents

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Hello All, I wanted to do a quick poll with people!

I was helping one of my friends move house the other day and we needed to borrow my Dads drill so we popped round to my Mum & Dads house. My mate thought it was really weird that I knocked on the front door and didnt just let myself in. I find it weird letting myself in because they moved after I moved out so it's never been my home, I've never lived there.

I wanted to see what other people do when they visit their parents, do you let yourself in? Do they live in the same house you grew up in???
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Visiting your parents

Postby mattmxl » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:39 am

They do live in the same house I grew up in. My normal policy is to knock and let them answer the door if I know they are in, but I'll let myself in if I know they are out. They are aware of this and actually support those actions.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 am

My parents are still in the house I grew up in. We all still just walk in, and we all still have keys.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby highlandcow » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:08 am

I still have the keys to my Dad's house, and so does my brother, despite him living in London.
However there were issues.... Before my brother moved down south he used his key to pop in and my stepmum hit the roof because the rattle of his key and him shouting "Hello?" gave her a fright. She told my Dad that she didn't want us having keys and he said that even though me and Brother Cow no longer live at home, it's still our house and if she didn't like it, she could return her key to him.

So the upshot is, we still have keys....but we have to phone ahead so my delicate stepmum doesn't get a fright.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:23 pm

I moved a few weeks after my daughter moved out. She doesn't have a key. Neither do I for her flat.
This way no one will ever be embarassed if they walk in at the wrong time. :wink:
My hubby has the key to his mums house but she is older and on her own but he still calls to let her know he is popping round. Obviously if he couldn't get hold of her after a couple of hours he would probaly let himself in to make sure she was ok.
I think it's common courtesy to give advanced notice.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Chit Chat