Please give me feedback?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Please give me feedback?

Postby Tarantula » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Hello fellow PPers

I'm in the process of launching a personal training business that's aimed primarily (though not exclusively) at students and, if you have a sec, I'd really appreciate your feedback on my website, which is at pumpyourrump.co.uk .
Tarantula
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Please give me feedback?

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 am

Seems pretty good to me.
It has the prices on - great as I hate a website that pulls you in to read the blurb but won't give you the price and then you have to talk to some saleperosn to get the info :evil:
You clearly are a good advert for fitness as you look buff :P
You know you target audience as you are talking about local places the students go to.
I love the fact you tell people what to expect which should hpefully recude time wasters.

Sorry I couldn't actually find anything negative with the brief look I had
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Couple of quick comments:

- It's not (although nearly) valid HTML for the doctype you've specified. Pop a page URL into this page to see for yourself: http://validator.w3.org
- It's not entirely valid CSS. Again, pop a page URL into here: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
- The ALT tags for your links are the page names, e.g. 'Blog\Blog.html' when they should be descriptive of what the link takes you to, e.g. 'Fitness Blog'
- You're going to get no end of spam from having your email address on show like that. Use a contact form, preferably with Captcha

A general usability issue is that there's nothing, or very little, to tell me which page I'm on. The link for that page is dead, but its state doesn't change to show me that I'm on that page. It's good practice for links to have a normal, hover and active state.

I don't know how much you know about web development and how much you're in the dark, but if you need further explanation or even help then let me know.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby highlandcow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Only had a wee look but it's not bad B_C.

Lovin' the name of it as well!
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Tarantula » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Thank you Bel Bel and HLC for your kind words!!

ILC, thanks for the feedback. So you're a webby guy! That's great. I made the site on iWeb, which is like web design for kiddies, as you probably know. I know hardly anything about html, tags etc, and therefore don't understand what the significance of valid html/css is?

The site's been up for a couple of months now and I've had no spam. I think maybe the spambots have trouble reading it, or something. Site is on Google though.

Does ALT tag mean, then, what comes up at the end of the url? I'm not sure how to change them on iWeb.
Tarantula
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:36 am

Hi B_C,

Well I'm more of a software guy, but I do a lot of web stuff in my spare time for a few extra spondoolics.

The significance of valid HTML/CSS is in search engine optimization. Search engines use a great many metrics to rank your site and one of them is (at least in the case of Google) is the validity of your markup. In your case if you didn't actually write the HTML then you may be limited in what you can do to fix the issue but it may be worth reporting it to iWeb as they should be generating completely valid markup for customers.

The ALT tag defines the text that appears when you hover your mouse over a link. Hover your mouse over any of your main navigation buttons and what you get is the path to the page, the page name and its extension. Instead of that, what it really should be is a proper description of what the page you're linking to is about, e.g. "Personal Fitness" or "Siobhan's Blog", because it's these tags that a screen reader for blind people will read to them.

Good news on the spam front. It may be hard to read, or it may be that the spam bots haven't found your site yet. Time will tell, and you can always update the site later if you start having issues.

If I can assist now or in the future let me know.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Chit Chat