A little help?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

A little help?

Postby captainf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Okay guys, I've not been on here recently. My apologies. I've been a bit busy though. Had a P.C.S.O interview booked for November but had to cancel a week before as my nan was ill and I was the only one home to take care of her. So until the next intake of P.C.S.O's or P.C's I enrolled on a home study course in Criminology. Here is where I need a little assistance. I'm working on my second assignment which is: Early English Law sought not only to deter crime and immoral behaviour but to exert social control. Why do you think that this would have a greater effect on the common man and woman?
I know there was a lot of civil unrest when the Romans left Britain and this continued on for quite some time through Saxon times too. I'm also aware the Chruch had a massive influence on law at the time. However I need some examples and sources that back up my information on the common people being effected more so than the rich when it relates to early English law. Does anyone have any good links that can assist me? I've tried surfing the net but not had much luck.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: A little help?

Postby Sledge » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:45 am

I believe it was the early Plantagenets that brought in a system of judges, etc. I would start looking in that era, rather than Romans.

The reason the church had a massive influence was because monarchs such as James I and Charles I saw the established church (with the monarch as the head) as another means of control. Church and law. Enthusiastic enforcers in the role of archbishop of canterbury effectively forced out non-conformists such as the pilgrim fathers.

I read the question differently to you. I think you understood the part about having a greater control on the common man to mean "as opposed to the aristocracy" (rich folk). I, however, read to question to mean 'how did a law that sought to exert social control have a greater effect on the common man than would a law that sought to deter crime and immoral behaviour" The social control objective says 'behave in this manner', whereas the crime deterrent objective says 'behave how you like, but within these boundaries'.

I hope I've given you something to think about. Good luck.
Last edited by Sledge on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sledge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: A little help?

Postby captainf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:14 am

Thankyou. That is insightful. The reason why I related back to Roman and Saxon times is because my current module is about inequality before the law and all the literature that the current assignment follows mainly relates to Roman and Saxon times and up to the 16th century.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Chit Chat