Bereavement counselling years after a loss?

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Bereavement counselling years after a loss?

Postby Rose92 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 pm

My boyfriend lost his Dad when he was twelve after a long illness. He's now twenty. I've been with him for four years.

Over the years he's spoken about his Dad infrequently, but always seemed to really enjoy telling me stories about his childhood. He's really close to his mum and his sister but they never discuss his dad together. He told me that recently he has been thinking about his dad much more, wishing he could speak to him as an adult. He says he has realised how much losing his dad affected him and is becoming more emotional about it than I have ever seen him. I'm really worried that he is becoming depressed about it.

He and his sister were offered bereavement counselling when their dad died but they didn't want it. I suggested that counselling might be a good idea now and he said I could find out about it for him. I've had a look on a few websites but they seem to offer counselling at the time of the loss, not years later. Any ideas?

Thanks, I'm really worried about him.
Rose92
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Bereavement counselling years after a loss?

Postby rufio89 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Lots of people need some time to grieve in their own way before they start bereavement counselling. If you have a look in your area for counsellors in general they will probably say whether or not they offer grief counselling - he might not be eligible for grief counselling through a charity after this long though, he might have to go through the NHS (which in all honesty I wouldn't recommend) or pay to see a counsellor privately (which is likely to be between £20-50 per hour, but usually probably closer to £25).
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Mental wellbeing